Man With a Plan
CBS, Mondays at 8:30/7:30 Central
Oct 24, 2016
Friends alum Matt LeBlanc returns to primetime television as Adam Burns, a contractor who finds himself saddled with increased parenting responsibilities after his wife returns to work for the first time in 13-years in CBS' new sitcom, Man With a Plan. LeBlanc's Adam—a father of three—is unbelievably (and unfunnily) naïve about what it takes to raise children, until he's faced with the daily tasks of packing lunch and enforcing homework. His distance from the realities of parenting makes it that much harder to invest in a show that offers few laughs and just as much entertainment.
As Joey, LeBlanc was an integral and endearing part of the Friends equation. His caring nature, coupled with the right amount of charming simplicity, made him naturally loveable. Creators Jackie and Jeff Filgo's Adam—almost undeniably developed with the same traits in mind—is far less engaging. Worse, he feels forced, a wannabe Joey with half the charisma. LeBlanc does what he can with the role, but the writing is so far below the bar set by Friends, it's almost unfair of Man With a Plan to beg a comparison.
The pilot introduces the unfortunate running gags of an adolescent son who can't keep his hands out of his pants, and a stay at home dad desperate for male companionship who admires Adam for his machismo. This is the best of what Man With a Plan has to offer. It is uninspired and un-engaging. Man With a Plan is likely to be a short blip on the CBS lineup this fall. If it lasts longer than one season, it's only because LeBlanc's place in sitcom—and television—history was etched decades ago. (www.cbs.com/shows/man-with-a-plan)
Author rating: 4.5/10
Average reader rating: 1/10
- The War on Drugs Share 11-Minute New Song – “Thinking of a Place” (News) — The War on Drugs
- Fargo (Season 3, Episode 1: “The Law of Vacant Places” Recap and Review) (Review) — Ewan McGregor
- Shout Out Louds Share Video for New Song, “Oh Oh,” and Announce Tour Dates (News) — Shout Out Louds
- Jonathan Rado Shares “Surgeonman” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Foxygen, Jonathan Rado, Our First 100 Days
- Blondie Share New B-Side – “The Breaks” (News) — Blondie