Jul 23, 2009 Web Exclusive
Moderat, the amalgamation of German electronic suits Apparat and Modeselektor, has returned after an abrupt split back in 2002, and this eponymous debut reveals influences drawn from dubstep, ambient techno, and glitch.
Having recorded the album in analog and in the same studio David Bowie used to record Heroes, the entire record radiates and reverberates. The dark sonic space created by Apparat and Modeselektor is layered and vast throughout.
Each track builds slowly, lines weaving in and out of the foreground with a minimalist patience. Repetition within each track is counteracted by a strong rhythmic variation between tracks, giving the album a sense of evolution and progress. And the thick atmosphere that results is indelible. Moderat is brooding, but manages to carry itself along without weighing itself down. (www.bpitchcontrol.de/Moderat)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire vs. Peter Gabriel (Interview) — Richard Reed Parry, Peter Gabriel
- Adult Jazz (Interview) — Adult Jazz
- Listen: Broken Social Scene – “Golden Facelift” (News) — Broken Social Scene