Monstress Volume One: Awakening
Aug 05, 2016 Web Exclusive
Marjorie Liu (writer) and Sana Takeda (artist) present us with a master class in proper world-building. It's an immense, matriarchal fantasy world full of details, but these details are delivered on a digestible, need-to-know basis, in the context of a compelling narrative, rather than a sledgehammer of info dump after info dump.
Maika Halfwolf is an Arcanic, a non-human, who, unlike much of her kind, can pass as human. She's missing an arm, has a mysterious tattoo, a mission to discover her dead mother's mysteries, and, oh yeah, seems to have something sinister living inside of her. The revelations unfold at a satisfying pace, creating tension but not frustration.
The painterly splashes, full-page spreads, and static images are almost too beautiful to believe, and Takeda's style translates surprisingly well to the often visceral action-filled parts of the book. The designs might be the best thing about Monstress: the too-cute, two-tailed cat "nekomancer"; the intricate costumes and armors; the techno-magic implements; and the Cthulu-esque ghosts that plague the atmosphere.
Monstress is a gorgeous epic fantasy with horror elements that avoids oft-regurgitated genre pitfalls with a fresh take on society, relationships, and, well, almost everything. A real gem. (www.imagecomics.com)
Author rating: 8.5/10
- Nine Albums Out Today Worth Hearing: Gorillaz, Feist, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, and More (News) — BNQT, Feist, Gorillaz, Juliana Hatfield, Little Cub, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, Sylvan Esso, Thurston Moore
- Speedy Ortiz Covers TV on the Radio’s “Young Liars” for Planned Parenthood Covers Album (News) — Speedy Ortiz, TV on the Radio
- Waxahatchee Shares “Silver (Demo)” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Our First 100 Days, Waxahatchee
- Sufjan Stevens Announces Mixtape Featuring “Carrie & Lowell” Outtakes, Remixes, and Demos (News) — Sufjan Stevens
- Tribeca 2017: Brian Shoaf and Zachary Quinto on “Aardvark” (Interview) — Zachary Quinto, Brian Shoaf