Monstress Volume One: Awakening
Aug 05, 2016 Web Exclusive
Marjorie Liu (writer) and Sana Takeda (artist) present us with a master class in proper world-building. It's an immense, matriarchal fantasy world full of details, but these details are delivered on a digestible, need-to-know basis, in the context of a compelling narrative, rather than a sledgehammer of info dump after info dump.
Maika Halfwolf is an Arcanic, a non-human, who, unlike much of her kind, can pass as human. She's missing an arm, has a mysterious tattoo, a mission to discover her dead mother's mysteries, and, oh yeah, seems to have something sinister living inside of her. The revelations unfold at a satisfying pace, creating tension but not frustration.
The painterly splashes, full-page spreads, and static images are almost too beautiful to believe, and Takeda's style translates surprisingly well to the often visceral action-filled parts of the book. The designs might be the best thing about Monstress: the too-cute, two-tailed cat "nekomancer"; the intricate costumes and armors; the techno-magic implements; and the Cthulu-esque ghosts that plague the atmosphere.
Monstress is a gorgeous epic fantasy with horror elements that avoids oft-regurgitated genre pitfalls with a fresh take on society, relationships, and, well, almost everything. A real gem. (www.imagecomics.com)
Author rating: 8.5/10
- Premiere: The New Pornographers “High Ticket Attractions” Behind-the-Scenes Video (News) — The New Pornographers
- Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern, Daniel Clowes & Craig Johnson on ‘Wilson’ (Interview) — Woody Harrelson
- Listen: BNQT (Midlake, Band of Horses, Granddaddy, Franz Ferdinand, Travis) - “Unlikely Force” (News) — Band of Horses, BNQT, Franz Ferdinand, Grandaddy, Jason Lytle, Midlake, Travis
- Listen: Arca - “Saunter” (News) — Arca
- Marissa Nadler Shares New Song, “Rosemary,” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Marissa Nadler, Our First 100 Days