Keith Morris with Jim Ruland
My Damage: The Story of a Punk Rock Survivor
Published by Da Capo
Nov 18, 2016 Web Exclusive
My Damage tells the story of Keith Morris' life in punk rock. As a founding member of both Black Flag and Circle Jerks, Morris lived West coast punk from its inception, and with his current project OFF!, he has reinvigorated the form for a new generation of fans.
Morris' book benefits from the same energetic, frenetically authentic style that makes his music so memorable. His description of the early punk scene and the inception of his two most famous bands is a fascinating read. Morris' life at the time mirrored the chaos of the music, fueled by rampant substance use and abuse and devil-may-care attitude to the extreme.
Throughout it all, Morris comes across as eminently likeable. The conversational style of his writing is both engaging and endearing, and it pulls the reader into the tale, as if he or she was with Morris on the ride.
Thankfully, Morris came out the other side relatively unscathed, sober since the late '80s and successfully managing diabetes brought on largely by stress. Of course, with his newest project, OFF!, Morris has reignited the flame and has found success to rival the early days. My Damage takes you with him, through it all. (www.dacapopress.com) (www.offofficial.com)
Author rating: 7.5/10
- Watch Lana Del Rey Perform on the Moon in Her Video for “Love” (News) — Lana Del Rey
- Stream the New Album by Xiu Xiu - “FORGET” (News) — Xiu Xiu
- Speedy Ortiz Share New Song “In My Way” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Speedy Ortiz
- Listen: Passion Pit Shares Two More New Songs - “Moonbeam” and “Hey K” (News) — Passion Pit
- 2016 Artist Survey: Tim Burgess of The Charlatans (Interview) — The Charlatans, Artist Surveys 2016, Tim Burgess, Tim Burgess and Peter Gordon