Keith Morris with Jim Ruland
My Damage: The Story of a Punk Rock Survivor
Published by Da Capo
Nov 18, 2016 Web Exclusive
My Damage tells the story of Keith Morris' life in punk rock. As a founding member of both Black Flag and Circle Jerks, Morris lived West coast punk from its inception, and with his current project OFF!, he has reinvigorated the form for a new generation of fans.
Morris' book benefits from the same energetic, frenetically authentic style that makes his music so memorable. His description of the early punk scene and the inception of his two most famous bands is a fascinating read. Morris' life at the time mirrored the chaos of the music, fueled by rampant substance use and abuse and devil-may-care attitude to the extreme.
Throughout it all, Morris comes across as eminently likeable. The conversational style of his writing is both engaging and endearing, and it pulls the reader into the tale, as if he or she was with Morris on the ride.
Thankfully, Morris came out the other side relatively unscathed, sober since the late '80s and successfully managing diabetes brought on largely by stress. Of course, with his newest project, OFF!, Morris has reignited the flame and has found success to rival the early days. My Damage takes you with him, through it all. (www.dacapopress.com) (www.offofficial.com)
Author rating: 7.5/10
- Nine Albums Out Today Worth Hearing: Gorillaz, Feist, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, and More (News) — BNQT, Feist, Gorillaz, Juliana Hatfield, Little Cub, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, Sylvan Esso, Thurston Moore
- Speedy Ortiz Covers TV on the Radio’s “Young Liars” for Planned Parenthood Covers Album (News) — Speedy Ortiz, TV on the Radio
- Waxahatchee Shares “Silver (Demo)” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Our First 100 Days, Waxahatchee
- Sufjan Stevens Announces Mixtape Featuring “Carrie & Lowell” Outtakes, Remixes, and Demos (News) — Sufjan Stevens
- Tribeca 2017: Brian Shoaf and Zachary Quinto on “Aardvark” (Interview) — Zachary Quinto, Brian Shoaf