Mysterious Phonk: The Chronicles of SpaceGhostPurrp
Jul 17, 2012 Web Exclusive
Likely the biggest thing the Internet has done for hip-hop is to make it possible to make regionless rap music. Unless you happen to be interested in biographies, you wouldn't necessarily know A$AP Rocky is from New York or that Kendrick Lamar is from Los Angeles. Hip-hop now pulls from multiple influences, where syrup-slow Southern beats can sit comfortably with Wu-Tang scratched vinyl and kung-fu samples.
Embracing anti-regionalism is perhaps the best way to try to unpack the music of Spaceghostpurrp. Purrp (aka Markese Rolle or Muney Jordan) is a 21-year-old from Miami, Florida—but from his rapping, you wouldn't necessarily know that. His beats sound like some kind of futurist chopped-and-screwed version of Clams Casino, while his flow is as relaxed and alarmingly disengaged as 50 Cent at his best. And he's on super-indie label 4AD. It shouldn't make sense... but it does, somehow.
His debut album, Mysterious Phonk: The Chronicles of SpaceGhostPurrp hardly sounds like his first effort. Filled with repurposed and cleaned-up versions of mixtape tracks, the entire effort is lush and cohesive. His lyrics are filled with ominous threats ("Get Yah Head Bust"), reprehensible/domineering sexuality ("Suck a Dick 2012," which is as horrifying as you'd expect), wonderfully cocky boasts ("The Black God"), and good old weed rap about avoiding trouble via rampant drug use ("Raider Prayer"). It's hardly the most edifying hip-hop you'll ever hear. But there's something about it—the entire album has such a tone you can't help but get sucked into its slowed down world. The talent to create that kind of feeling is undeniable. (www.4ad.com/artists/spaceghostpurrp/)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Real Estate, London Grammar, 2:54, and More (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist, 2:54, Jessie Ware, London Grammar, Real Estate, We Were Promised Jetpacks, The History of Apple Pie, How to Dress Well, Christopher Owens, Cass McCombs
- Aphex Twin Announces “SYRO” Listening Parties (News) — Aphex Twin
- My Favorite New Band: Sondre Lerche on Verdensrommet (Interview) — Sondre Lerche, Verdensrommet
- John Lennon’s Killer Apologizes (News) — John Lennon
- Listen: Patrick Carney’s Theme Music For “BoJack Horseman” (News) — The Black Keys