Mar 16, 2017 Web Exclusive
Find It At: AMAZON
The sophomore album from New Zealand's Nadia Reid is a hushed recording—akin to an intimate conversation over coffee on a lazy Sunday morning. The majority of the songs on Preservation are languid reflections on relationships and the self, brushed with religious imagery and steeped in sadness. On "Ain't Got You," Reid sings of unshakeable loneliness while "Reach My Destination" is about the difficulty of choice and finding happiness in your decisions.
Reid's words are at the forefront of Preservation but there are subtle sonic moments that shine: electronics (or possibly a guitar) faintly twinkle under layers of reverb on the title track, the bass line on "Richard" dances, and the sparse instrumental cries on "Te Aro" leave space for Reid's, consistently powerful, voice to roam as it pleases.
On the cover of her debut Listen to Formation, Look for the Signs, Reid is pictured, in monochrome, looking off into the distance. On the cover of this one, she, in full color, confidently stares directly at you. And that's what Preservation is: an honest look. (www.nadiareid.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister Share Song - “Mercury” (News) — Bryce Dessner, James McAlister, Nico Muhly, Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister, Sufjan Stevens
- Tori Amos Announces New Album and Tour Dates (News) — Tori Amos
- Phoenix Announce New Album for Summer Release (News) — Phoenix
- Woman of the Year (Review) —
- Listen: Gorillaz - “The Apprentice” (Featuring Rag’n'Bone Man, Zebra Katz, and RAY BLK) (News) — Damon Albarn, Gorillaz, Rag‘n’Bone Man, RAY BLK, Zebra Katz