Mar 05, 2013 Web Exclusive
The Madchester scene and Factory Records may well be the single most overrated and unwarrantedly praised era British music has ever seen. If The Stone Roses' horrific and embarrassing reunion accomplished anything, it was to starkly demonstrate that while this music may have provided a boom for a provincial town in the Northwest, it belongs avowedly to a bygone era.
Unlike the Roses, New Order was one of the few decent bands of that era; in forming from the ashes of Joy Division they embodied the transition of post punk into New Wave. That was 30-odd years ago, though, and now their fans have put away the tracksuits and grown up into the Top Gear audience. As a result, 2005's Waiting for the Sirens' Call is nobody's favorite New Order record, and it's fair to guess not many people were waiting with baited breath for an outtakes album from an apparently dreary and unimaginative recording period.
Author rating: 5/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Lana Del Rey Announces New Album, Shares Ghostly Album Trailer (News) — Lana Del Rey
- Kirin J Callinan Shares Mockumentary Starring Mac DeMarco, Mark Ronson, and Weyes Blood (News) — Kirin J Callinan, Jack Black, GUM, Mac DeMarco, Pond, Mark Ronson, Sebastian Tellier, Tame Impala, Weyes Blood
- Warpaint Announce New Tour Dates for May and June (News) — Warpaint
- Watch the New Trailer for “Valerian” (Plus Recent Trailers for “Justice League” and “Spider-Man”) (News) — Ben Affleck, Cara Delevinge, Dane DeHaan, Ezra Miller, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Jon Watts, Justice League, Luc Besson, Marisa Tomei, Michael Keaton, Ray Fisher, Rihanna, Robert Downey Jr., Spider-Man, Tom Holland, Zack Snyder
- Watch: The Magnetic Fields - “‘05 Never Again” Video (News) — The Magnetic Fields