Mar 05, 2013 Web Exclusive
The Madchester scene and Factory Records may well be the single most overrated and unwarrantedly praised era British music has ever seen. If The Stone Roses' horrific and embarrassing reunion accomplished anything, it was to starkly demonstrate that while this music may have provided a boom for a provincial town in the Northwest, it belongs avowedly to a bygone era.
Unlike the Roses, New Order was one of the few decent bands of that era; in forming from the ashes of Joy Division they embodied the transition of post punk into New Wave. That was 30-odd years ago, though, and now their fans have put away the tracksuits and grown up into the Top Gear audience. As a result, 2005's Waiting for the Sirens' Call is nobody's favorite New Order record, and it's fair to guess not many people were waiting with baited breath for an outtakes album from an apparently dreary and unimaginative recording period.
Author rating: 5/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Watch: EMA Interact With an Android Lookalike in “3Jane” Video (News) — EMA
- Hooray For Earth Played Their Last Ever Show Last Night, Perhaps Have Broken Up (News) — Hooray For Earth
- Watch: Twin Peaks Ride and Perform on a Bunch of Motorcycles in “Mind Frame” Video (News) — Twin Peaks
- Watch: “Jurassic World” Trailer (“Jurassic Park” Sequel Starring Chris Pratt) (News) —
- Check Out Photos of Owen Pallett, tUnE-yArDs, St. Vincent, and Selda at Le Guess Who (News) — Le Guess Who? 2013: Day Four, Le Guess Who? 2014, Owen Pallett, Selda, St. Vincent, tUnE-yArDs