Oct 15, 2012 Web Exclusive
Colored Emotions is flush with shimmer and twang. Minneapolis trio Night Moves find a sound somewhere between the freewheeling folk-rock of My Morning Jacket and the glammy psych of MGMT. A little bit country, a little bit spacey; like laser-pistoleros in puffy sleeves and cowboy boots.
This transfusion of trends is best embodied in lead singer John Pelant's falsetto drawl: breezy, with a laid-back twang. The guitars and percussion are just as languid. Night Moves—similar in spirit to the Bob Seger song, though the band claims no relation with their name—are never in a hurry to be anywhere in particular. "Horses" is the most urgent track on the record, with vocals clawing over each other to the top of the mix, and a hot, reverb-battered guitar lick pushing their pace upward a bit. They blanket some simple chords with swirling synthesizer noise in "Only a Child," as the high-pitched vocals soar in the background, but it's the slow-building "Headlights" that gets the most out of Pelant's voice.
It's always welcome when they manage to find a way to cut through their relaxed vibe, but it's not a necessity. The album's best track, "Colored Emotions," has a lite-disco-county flavor similar to The Eagles' chart-topping "One of These Nights;" not quite peppy enough to encourage any dancing, but it'll get your head bobbing. Colored Emotions is a promising starting point for this young band who will hopefully find more ways to get the boots scootin' in the future.
Author rating: 7.5/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- Chad Valley Announces Sophomore Album, Shares First Single, “True” (News) — Chad Valley
- Vampire Weekend’s Chris Baio Shares “Endless Rhythm” Video (News) — Baio, Vampire Weekend
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist With Prince, Ought, Jamie Lidell, Wavves, and Small Black (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Stream Mac DeMarco’s Entire New Album, “Another One” (News) — Mac DeMarco
- Watch U2’s The Edge and Adam Clayton Surprise Join U2 Cover Band on Stage at Fansite Party (News) — U2