Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
Jul 26, 2013 Issue #45 - Winter 2013 - Phoenix
Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong is a nifty story, written by Prudence Shen and illustrated by Faith Erin Hicks, that largely concerns a couple groups of high school rivals teaming up to compete in a robot arena battle competition in an effort to raise money for various school programs.
Charlie, a basketball jock who boasts more complexity than his classmates may give him credit for, is the chief protagonist among a fairly diverse cast of characters, including science nerds, cheerleaders, and Charlie's parents: his work-absent dad and his out-of-state mom.
While Hicks' art-clean, cute cartooning-is the star of the book, the story is fine all-ages fare as well; it should be approachable and enjoyable for anyone who enjoys high school/family stories that are light on the drama, if poignant in places, and heavy on the amusing interactions of the characters. (www.firstsecondbooks.com)
Author rating: 7.5/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire vs. Peter Gabriel (Interview) — Richard Reed Parry, Peter Gabriel
- Adult Jazz (Interview) — Adult Jazz
- Listen: Broken Social Scene – “Golden Facelift” (News) — Broken Social Scene