Studio: Amazon Studios / Bleecker Street
Directed by Jim Jarmusch
Jan 23, 2017
Issue # 59 - 15th Anniversary
Scenes unfold like small poems in Jim Jarmusch’s Paterson. The five volume William Carlos Williams poem of that name, derived from his observations around the industrial New Jersey city, appears to be the film’s vital influence. The central character shares the name as well and is played in patent reserve by Adam Driver. He walks and drives through the parts of the city that make it feel like a town, frozen in the past. Paterson leads a life of simple routine as a busdriver, living with his young lady and walking his dog to the local bar in the evenings.
Jarmusch paints characters with only a few brushes of his camera, enough to illustrate a mood or disposition, communicating in the void of action and word. All of the in between moments that are passed over in conventional film story, form a filmic language all his own. It’s like minimalist literature that you come to appreciate not for its promise of thrill but for its reliability in amusing description of the mundane.
The notion visited is of needing the prospect of something new, however quaint in triviality, in order to feel life. Or is it that comfort in the ordinary is enough to sustain our dreaming?
Author rating: 8.5/10
- Black Lips Announce New Album Produced by Sean Lennon, Share “Can’t Hold On” (News) — Black Lips
- Saint Etienne Announce New Album, Share “Heather” (News) — Saint Etienne
- Thurston Moore Announces New Album, Shares Video for “Smoke of Dreams” (News) — Sonic Youth, Thurston Moore
- Kevin Morby Announces New Album, Shares Lyric Video for New Song “Come to Me Now” (News) — Kevin Morby
- !!! Announce New Album and Tour Dates, Share “The One 2” Video (News) — !!!