Feb 20, 2013 Web Exclusive
Pissed Jeans' fourth album plays like the sound of a herd of buffalo charging from one end of a string of subway cars to another, and while they may slow their pace occasionally, cringing passengers know better than to climb down off their seats.
For Honeys, the Allentown, PA natives revisit the crossroads where Black Flag took punk into metal territory, and they plant their flag deeply enough to practically claim that chunk of scorched earth as their own. "Bathroom Laughter" and "Cathouse" are thrillingly manic, open-throttle death cars that plunge headlong into Melvins-ish sludge like "Chain Worker."
Even if "Vain In Costume" swings like a newly excavated Nirvana track, Honeys succeeds well beyond a conscious-or-not acknowledgment of touchstones. It's one of the best recent examples of a band burning the schematics and retooling the machine to meet their desired output, regardless of whether said equipment defies standard noise ordinances. (www.whitedenim.com/pissedjeans)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Listen to an Unreleased Mix of the David Bowie Song “TVC15” from 1976’s “Station to Station” (News) — David Bowie
- Listen: How to Dress Well - “What’s Up” (News) — How to Dress Well
- Watch Teaser Trailer for Season 2 of Netflix’s “Stranger Things” (News) — S U R V I V E, Stranger Things
- Listen: The Radio Dept. - “Swedish Guns” (News) — The Radio Dept.
- Watch Banks & Steelz (Paul Banks + RZA) Perform “Giant” on “Fallon” (News) — BANKS, Banks & Steelz, Interpol, RZA, Wu-Tang Clan