Mar 26, 2013 Issue #45 - Winter 2013 - Phoenix
Glasgow synthpop trio CHVRCHES sparked fervent interest last year with two tracks that brought out different sides of the band. "Lies" was a staggering, minor-key powerhouse complemented by wily lyrics from singer Lauren Mayberry, while its official debut single, "The Mother We Share," expressed a more solemn sentiment. Both songs had an anthemic quality to them, thanks to Mayberry's soaring vocals, which at times recall Harriet Wheeler or Dolores O'Riordan.
With the five-track EP Recover, the band turns more toward heartfelt pop. On "Recover," Mayberry sings about a relationship on the precipice and delivers an ultimatum of sorts. The track's highlight is its killer double chorus, the latter of which is washed in by a rising wave of icy synth. Martin Doherty takes lead vocals on the minor-key "ZVVL," which shifts from quiet verses to a pounding chorus joined by Mayberry. Doherty doesn't have the most distinctive voice, but it's effectively evocative when layered with Mayberry's. The reverse approach is used on "Now Is Not the Time," with Mayberry returning to lead duties. Her mournfully delivered vocal is set against blissful, sky-gazing dance pop. The other two tracks are remixes of "Recover." The dramatic "Science and Vision," a worthy follow-up to "Lies," is nowhere to be found. (www.facebook.com/CHVRCHES)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Watch Fictionalized Daft Punk Spin “Da Funk” For First Time in Clip from “Eden” (News) — Daft Punk
- Listen: Public Image Ltd - “Double Trouble” (News) — Public Image Ltd.
- Watch: Broken Legged Dave Grohl Play Foo Fighters Set in a Light Up Throne (News) — Foo Fighters
- Check Out Photos of Thurston Moore, D’Angelo, The Vaccines and More at Open’er Festival (News) — Open’er Festival 2015: Day Three, Open’er Festival 2015, Julia Marcell, José González, D’Angelo, Mumford & Sons, The Vaccines, Thurston Moore, Radiohead
- Listen: Goat - “It’s Time for Fun” (News) — Goat