Rick and Morty
Adult Swim, Mondays 10:30/9:30 Central
Dec 04, 2013
Issue #48 - November/December 2013 - HAIM
Rick and Morty, the latest animated show from Adult Swim, has a fine pedigree, coming from the fevered imaginings of Dan Harmon (Community) and Justin Roiland (House of Cosbys). At its core it tells the story of a drunken, morally skewed scientific genius (Rick) and the idiot grandson/unwitting protégé (Morty) whom he drags—often unwillingly—into hilarious, outlandish, and increasingly grotesque interdimensional escapades.
There is a fear that in isolation this pair—both voiced by Roiland—and their bizarre, amoral adventures, might not hold the show together over its 30 minute running time. Wisely, however, they're surrounded by the funny and charming dysfunction of a family—with voices provided by Sarah Chalke (Scrubs) and Chris Parnell (Saturday Night Live)—who ground the show in a sense of reality and provide an anchor that stops the madness of the two lead characters from tipping the story over into something exhausting and unrelatable.
Part obscene Saturday morning cartoon, part acutely-observed family sitcom, Rick and Morty combines the best of anarchic sci-fi and jet black comedy, with a vibrant and wide-eyed style of animation. Roiland and Harmon have put together a finely balanced show, with infinite possibilities that leave the door open for an exciting future. (www.adultswim.com)
Author rating: 7.5/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- See Michael Keaton & Mark Ruffalo in First Trailer for Catholic Church Sex Abuse Film “Spotlight” (News) — Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, John Slattery, Rachel McAdams
- Listen: Willis Earl Beal – “Survive” (News) — Willis Earl Beal
- Stream HEALTH’s Full New Album, “Death Magic” (News) — HEALTH
- Stream Chelsea Wolfe’s Full New Album, “Abyss” (News) — Chelsea Wolfe
- Listen: Wavves – “Flamezesz” (News) — Wavves