Nov 08, 2013 Web Exclusive
Never a man to play things by the book, dream-pop iconoclast Sébastien Tellier has created a sixth album that is an almost entirely instrumental affair. But the fact that his one deviation from type—the louche piano-stroking glide of "L'Amour Naissant"—represents the album's unclouded apex, is a telling indication of what this 14-song LP lacks.
Like a beatific, ethereal soundtrack to a film that has yet to exist, Confection finds the impenetrably esoteric Frenchman eschewing his more disco-coated side for something a little more sophisticated. And there's certainly an element of bourgeois cultivation in the lisping keys of "Adieu Comme Un Jeu" and the equally regal "Coco Et La Labyrinthe."
Yet, despite the opulent notes and refined compositions, Tellier's smooth-talking panache is a noticeable exclusion. And when it does make that one fleeting but glorious appearance, it only emphasizes his lack of presence elsewhere. An interesting listen, sure, but one that lacks the necessary direction. (www.sebastientellier.com)
Author rating: 5/10
- Patreon Exclusive: Previously Unseen Photos of St. Vincent from 2007 and 2008 (News) — St. Vincent
- Jay Som Shares New Song “Turn the Other Cheek” for Anti-Donald Trump “Our First 100 Days” (News) — Jay Som, Our First 100 Days
- Phoenix Share New Song, “J-Boy,” and Announce Full Album Details (News) — Phoenix
- Algiers Announce New Album, Share Video for Title Track “The Underside of Power” (News) — Algiers
- Kirin J Callinan Announces Album Feat. Weyes Blood and Mac DeMarco, Shares “S.A.D.” Video (News) — Connan Mockasin, Kirin J Callinan, Mac DeMarco, Owen Pallett, Weyes Blood