Night Time, My Time
Oct 25, 2013 Web Exclusive
Nature abhors a vacuum and the three-year gulf that stretches back from the drop of Night Time, My Time to the first intended release date for a Sky Ferreira LP has been unreasonably filled with a narrative of expectation, disappointment, resignation, and cynicism. Such an environment can't fail to factor heavily on both artist and record. Harsh public reaction to the 21-year-old singer's recent troubles hasn't helped things either.
Sadly those hoping for a great leap forward à la last summer's "Everything is Embarrassing"—or even just more of the same—won't find it on Night Time, My Time. The charm and freshness of Ferreira's breakthrough track played on a forward-thinking pop promise but others came along and picked up the baton when she failed to deliver. Instead, lead single "You're Not the One" sets the tone for the record's minor highs. The headrush innocence of "24 Hours," "Boys," and "Love In Stereo" plays out an ostensibly underwhelming hand by bringing her in line with an '80s pop formula and offers a frustrating glimpse of how the entire record could have sounded with a lot more vision and structure.
Elsewhere, perfunctory guitar-tinged pop-dirges—flipside girl-band filler like the dire "Nobody Asked Me"—dominate and color the album's texture. Producer and co-writer Ariel Rechtshaid may have used Bowie's Low as a reference point but the scatterings of choppy guitar scuzz (more Steven Severin than Carlos Alomar) add little to an already uneven and unimpressive debut. (www.skyferreira.tumblr.com)
Author rating: 4/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring SBTRKT, Wild Beasts, Flying Lotus, and More (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist, Fear of Men, Jessie Ware, Zola Jesus, SBTRKT, Caribou, Cloud Nothings, Sharon Van Etten, Peaking Lights, Beat Connection, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, The Twilight Sad, Jungle
- Listen: Jessie Ware - “Say You Love Me” (Gorgon Remix) (News) — Jessie Ware
- Jarvis Cocker Writes Essay Supporting Upcoming People’s Climate March (News) — Jarvis Cocker
- Pleased to Meet You Spotlight: The Death of Pop (Interview) — The Death of Pop
- Terry Gilliam Describes How The Zero Theorem Almost Ended (Spoiler Warning) (News) — Terry Gilliam