Sleeping With Other People
Studio: IFC Films
Directed by Leslye Headland
Sep 09, 2015
Issue #54 - August/September 2015 - CHVRCHES
In the early ’00s, two Columbia students hook up and punch their v-cards, only to never hear from each other again. Fast forward 12 years later and Jake (Jason Sudeikis) and Lainey (Alison Brie) are unhappy New Yorkers—and recovering sex addicts. They re-meet at a support group session and spark a strong friendship, vowing not to ruin it by sleeping together. But can they remain platonic despite their mutual attraction to one another? (You can probably figure out where this is going.)
Though the sex addict angle feels purely like an excuse for rampant raunch, Sleeping With Other People is saved by its great casting. Sudeikis is charming enough that his lascivious behavior is made less skin-crawling, and though Brie’s obsession with a married gynecologist (Adam Scott) is tough to buy, her delivery is as funny as Community fans have to come expect from her. These two—and the good supporting cast, particularly Natasha Lyonne and Andrea Savage—lift the film above its somewhat one-note gimmick.
Author rating: 5/10
- Kevin Morby Announces New Album, Shares Lyric Video for New Song “Come to Me Now” (News) —
- Black Lips Announce New Album Produced by Sean Lennon, Share “Can’t Hold On” (News) — Black Lips
- Saint Etienne Announce New Album, Share “Heather” (News) — Saint Etienne
- Thurston Moore Announces New Album, Shares Video for “Smoke of Dreams” (News) — Sonic Youth, Thurston Moore
- !!! Announce New Album and Tour Dates, Share “The One 2” Video (News) — !!!