Sock Monkey: Treasury: A “Tony Millionaire’s Sock Monkey” Collection
Mar 12, 2014 Issue #49 - February/March 2014 - Portlandia
With his Sock Monkey stories, Tony Millionaire breathes life into the iconic stuffed toy and sends it on some amazing adventures. As the titular character goes racing from frame to frame, prepare to slow your pace to examine these gorgeous illustrations, as Millionaire applies the same loving detail to Sock Monkey as he does to his weekly strip Maakies. It's like a gentler Maakies, with Uncle Gabby being a frisky stuffed animal here rather than the inebriated monkey of the same name, and Mr. Crow is an alternate toy version of the sozzled Drinky Crow.
If these creatures are rendered a bit more user-friendly for younger readers, the stories are engaging and hilarious regardless of age, and there's no guarantee of a happy ending. When Sock Monkey is stunned by the beauty of a chandelier and interrupts Mr. Crow's tea party to invite him to "Heaven's constellated wilderness," you'll want to be there. (www.maakies.com)
Author rating: 8/10
Average reader rating: 10/10
- How to Dress Well Announces New Album and Tour, Shares Video for “Lost Youth / Lost You” (News) — How to Dress Well
- Watch: Ryley Walker - “The Roundabout” Video (News) — Ryley Walker
- The Radio Dept. Announce New Album (News) — The Radio Dept.
- Becoming Wise: An Inquiry into the Mystery and Art of Living (Review) —
- Watch: Flock of Dimes (Wye Oak’s Jenn Wasner) - “Semaphore” Video (News) — Flock of Dimes