Somethin’ Bout Kreay
Aug 15, 2012 Web Exclusive
You may have an opinion on Kreayshawn's hit song "Gucci, Gucci": It's either the worst song ever or a subversive takedown of consumerism. But regardless, you will likely hate Kreay's debut album Somethin' Bout Kreay.
The album is 46 minutes of soul-deadening vapidity, lazily spat lyrics, and beats Ke$ha wouldn't touch with a glittery, 10-foot pole. It's music your ironic (but sort of racist) hipster friend will blare, as if he and Kreayshawn are onto some secret, next-level shit. Topics on the album include promethazine syrup ("Breakfast"), booty dancing (the Diplo-produced "Twerkin'"), doing circles in a mall parking lot (the maybe-joking-but-it's-so-bad-who-cares "Go Hard"), and comparisons to Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes and Amy Winehouse (and, um, Lorena Bobbitt) in the violent "Left Eye." Even the attempts at sincerity ("BFF," "luV haus") come off as, well, sad.
But perhaps the biggest crime committed by Somethin' Bout Kreay? It's a pop album of awful pop music. (www.kreayshawn.tumblr.com)
Author rating: 2/10
Average reader rating: 2/10
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring M. Ward, Songs: Ohia, Charli XCX and More (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Portlandia Previews Season Five With Goth Sketch (News) — Portlandia
- Above the Dreamless Dead (Review) —
- Watch: Arcade Fire’s Horror Short Film, “Festi” (News) — Arcade Fire
- Premiere: Kormac – “White Noise (Featuring Speech Debelle)” Video (News) — Kormac, Speech Debelle