Dec 09, 2011 Issue #38 - 10th Anniversary Issue
The idea of genre is so impossible anymore: bands perversely make fools of any would-be taxonomists, dancing through enough styles to basically outrun our descriptive language. But hey, that's kind of music's beauty, isn't it? It can drift right out of criticism's reach (or capitalism's, for that matter).
Pterodactyl have the propulsion and driving dissonance of labelmates Oneida or Parts & Labor, but it's just an ingredient, a delivery system, for—what?—some kind of fractured, urban psych-pop, with melodic inclinations that are distinctly '60s. Things start out Brooklyn Noise Rock, but the second half of the album gets downright Nuggets-worthy.
Songs such as "The Hole Night" are sheer perfection, all baroque pop hooks and harmonies, executed with the subtlety of a drum kit falling down a stairwell. It's modern, it's classic, it's post, it's pre—what the hell is it? It's excellent. (www.pterodactyl.info)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire vs. Peter Gabriel (Interview) — Richard Reed Parry, Peter Gabriel
- Adult Jazz (Interview) — Adult Jazz
- Listen: Broken Social Scene – “Golden Facelift” (News) — Broken Social Scene