Steal Your Face
Jun 04, 2010 Web Exclusive
Let's just get it out of the way at the start: Mi Ami has a divisive singer. Daniel Martin-McCormick's caterwauls are going to send some listeners home immediately, with a style that draws on hardcore predecessors like, say, Ian Svenonius or Guy Picciotto, but an octave up, and with more of a nod to the No Wave shrieks of Arto Lindsay or Lydia Lunch back in the day.
Those two touchstones—No Wave and hardcore—inevitably factor in when trying to assign Mi Ami a genre, along with a substantial infusion of dub, dance music, and polyrhythmic pluckings from Africa (the most popular source continent for the new musical millenniumTM).
Mi Ami's songs are as persistent as they are claustrophobic, bouncing along on the kick-drum foot of drummer Damon Palermo, the effect-laden bass repetitions of Jacob Long, and ruptures of guitar skronk, keyboard noise, and other abrasive ear candy. The band continues to mine their particular brand of post-hardcore, danceable, free-punk madness—with satisfying results. (www.myspace.com/miamiamiami)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Beach House Share Three New Songs From New Album via Their Single Finder (News) — Beach House
- Watch Cool New Animated Trailer for “The X-Files” Miniseries (News) — David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, The X-Files
- Listen: My Morning Jacket - “Compound Fracture (Giorgio Moroder & Roman Luth Remix)” (News) — Giorgio Moroder, My Morning Jacket
- Deerhunter Shares Video for “Living My Life,” Directed by Bradford Cox (News) — Deerhunter
- EMA Responds to Mass Shooting Epidemic with “Active Shooter” Song and Video (News) — EMA