Steal Your Face
Jun 04, 2010 Web Exclusive
Let's just get it out of the way at the start: Mi Ami has a divisive singer. Daniel Martin-McCormick's caterwauls are going to send some listeners home immediately, with a style that draws on hardcore predecessors like, say, Ian Svenonius or Guy Picciotto, but an octave up, and with more of a nod to the No Wave shrieks of Arto Lindsay or Lydia Lunch back in the day.
Those two touchstones—No Wave and hardcore—inevitably factor in when trying to assign Mi Ami a genre, along with a substantial infusion of dub, dance music, and polyrhythmic pluckings from Africa (the most popular source continent for the new musical millenniumTM).
Mi Ami's songs are as persistent as they are claustrophobic, bouncing along on the kick-drum foot of drummer Damon Palermo, the effect-laden bass repetitions of Jacob Long, and ruptures of guitar skronk, keyboard noise, and other abrasive ear candy. The band continues to mine their particular brand of post-hardcore, danceable, free-punk madness—with satisfying results. (www.myspace.com/miamiamiami)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Stream New Albums From TORRES, The Tallest Man on Earth, Rundgren / Nikolaisen / Lindstrøm, + more (News) — TORRES, Mac McCaughan, The Tallest Man on Earth, Emil Nikolaisen, Hans-Peter Lindstrom, Todd Rundgren
- Watch: Lia Ices - “Creature” Video (News) — Lia Ices
- Watch: The Charlatans - “Let The Good Times Be Never Ending” Video (News) — The Charlatans
- Watch: Jamie xx - “Gosh” video (News) — Jamie xx, The xx
- Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins Joins TNA Wrestling (News) —