Steal Your Face
Jun 04, 2010 Web Exclusive
Let's just get it out of the way at the start: Mi Ami has a divisive singer. Daniel Martin-McCormick's caterwauls are going to send some listeners home immediately, with a style that draws on hardcore predecessors like, say, Ian Svenonius or Guy Picciotto, but an octave up, and with more of a nod to the No Wave shrieks of Arto Lindsay or Lydia Lunch back in the day.
Those two touchstones—No Wave and hardcore—inevitably factor in when trying to assign Mi Ami a genre, along with a substantial infusion of dub, dance music, and polyrhythmic pluckings from Africa (the most popular source continent for the new musical millenniumTM).
Mi Ami's songs are as persistent as they are claustrophobic, bouncing along on the kick-drum foot of drummer Damon Palermo, the effect-laden bass repetitions of Jacob Long, and ruptures of guitar skronk, keyboard noise, and other abrasive ear candy. The band continues to mine their particular brand of post-hardcore, danceable, free-punk madness—with satisfying results. (www.myspace.com/miamiamiami)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Watch: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – “James Dean (Lyric Video)” (News) — Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
- Zola Jesus Expands Her North American Tour (News) — Zola Jesus
- alt-J - The Under the Radar Cover Story (Interview) — alt-J
- RIP Joe Cocker (News) — Joe Cocker