Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
Really? A rarities collection after only three LPs?
Named after the subscription service Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin used to fund their tours, Tape Club comprises 26 tracks (as opposed to the 35 that appear on the three proper full-lengths) drawn from the group’s 10-year history. Much of the material here recalls the band’s subdued early days rather than the “go big or go home” ethos that characterized 2010’s Let It Sway LP.
By and large, the material spans the band’s own chronology, moving from charming scrappy home recordings and shaky harmonies to the more assured (but less successful) power-pop leanings that have characterized their more recent output. Tape Club has some strong moments, but they’re too often reminders of a band that seems to have lost its magic somewhere along the way. (www.sslyby.com)
Author rating: 4/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- Check Out Photos of St. Vincent at the Orpheum in Madison, Wisconsin (News) — St. Vincent
- Watch: Jenny Lewis – “She’s Not Me” Video with Fred Armisen, Feist, and Vanessa Bayer (News) — Jenny Lewis, Feist, Fred Armisen, Vanessa Bayer
- Watch: Ariel Pink – “I Need a Minute” Video Shot Mainly on a Camera Phone in a Bathroom (News) — Ariel Pink, Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
- Revenge of the Ninja (Review) —
- Watch: Julian Casablancas + the Voids - “Human Sadness” Video (News) — Julian Casablancas