Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
Really? A rarities collection after only three LPs?
Named after the subscription service Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin used to fund their tours, Tape Club comprises 26 tracks (as opposed to the 35 that appear on the three proper full-lengths) drawn from the group’s 10-year history. Much of the material here recalls the band’s subdued early days rather than the “go big or go home” ethos that characterized 2010’s Let It Sway LP.
By and large, the material spans the band’s own chronology, moving from charming scrappy home recordings and shaky harmonies to the more assured (but less successful) power-pop leanings that have characterized their more recent output. Tape Club has some strong moments, but they’re too often reminders of a band that seems to have lost its magic somewhere along the way. (www.sslyby.com)
Author rating: 4/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Sharon Jones Public Memorials Announced in Brooklyn, NY and Augusta, GA (News) — Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
- Premiere: Red Love: “Does It Make You” Video (News) — Red Love
- Ryan Adams Announces New Album, Shares “Do You Still Love Me?” (News) — Ryan Adams
- Watch: Dinosaur Jr. Perform “Goin Down” on “Conan” (News) — Conan O’Brien
- PJ Harvey Announces 2017 North American Tour Dates (News) — PJ Harvey