Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
Really? A rarities collection after only three LPs?
Named after the subscription service Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin used to fund their tours, Tape Club comprises 26 tracks (as opposed to the 35 that appear on the three proper full-lengths) drawn from the group’s 10-year history. Much of the material here recalls the band’s subdued early days rather than the “go big or go home” ethos that characterized 2010’s Let It Sway LP.
By and large, the material spans the band’s own chronology, moving from charming scrappy home recordings and shaky harmonies to the more assured (but less successful) power-pop leanings that have characterized their more recent output. Tape Club has some strong moments, but they’re too often reminders of a band that seems to have lost its magic somewhere along the way. (www.sslyby.com)
Author rating: 4/10
Average reader rating: 6/10
- Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks and Nicolas Winding Refn on ‘The Neon Demon’ (Interview) —
- Stream Jenny Lewis Supergroup Nice As Fuck’s Surprise-Released Debut Album (News) — Nice as Fuck, Jenny Lewis
- Cat’s Eyes (Interview) — Cat’s Eyes
- Watch: Deerhoof - “The Devil and his Anarchic Surrealist Retinue” Video (News) — Deerhoof
- Thom Yorke, Paul Mccartney, Trent Reznor and More Lobby Congress for Gun Control (News) — Thom Yorke, Paul McCartney, Trent Reznor, Lady Gaga