After the success of their debut LP, Astro Coast, Surfer Blood ended up getting snagged by Warner Bros. who will be releasing the band’s sophomore LP (presumably) in early 2012. As a way to tide over fans until then and to throw their old label, Kanine, some love and cash, Surfer Blood is giving us Tarot Classics, a four song EP that picks up where Astro Coast left off.
Pixies recently asked Surfer Blood to serve as the opening band for their current tour, and with such songs as “Miranda” and “Voyager Reprise,” you’ll have a hard time noticing where the opener ends and the headliner begins—both songs are straight out of the Bossanova songbook. One could whine about how derivative they are, but who cares when Surfer Blood refuse to write anything other than terrific songs packed with chops, heart, and earworms.
Best of all is the EP’s closer “Drinking Problem”—a relaxed, feedback-drizzled jam that feels more autobiographical than the band usually is, if only because, in this age of Facebook and Twitter, we’re all subject to Surfer Blood’s never-ending and highly enjoyable life on the road. (www.surferblood.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Watch: The Flaming Lips - “Nidgy Nie (Never No)” Video (News) — The Flaming Lips
- Watch First Trailer for Paris Attacks Documentary “Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis (Our Friends)” (News) — Colin Hanks, Eagles of Death Metal, U2
- Listen: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - “Down (Is Where I Want to Be)” (News) — Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- of Montreal Surprise-Releases New “Rune Husk” EP (News) — of Montreal
- New Anti-Donald Trump Compilation Features Angel Olsen, Jens Lekman, Toro Y Moi, Mitski, and More (News) — Angel Olsen, Mitski, Whitney, Toro y Moi, TORRES, Strand of Oaks, The Range, The Mountain Goats, Avey Tare, Jens Lekman, Bully, Twin Peaks, Wild Nothing, How to Dress Well