After the success of their debut LP, Astro Coast, Surfer Blood ended up getting snagged by Warner Bros. who will be releasing the band’s sophomore LP (presumably) in early 2012. As a way to tide over fans until then and to throw their old label, Kanine, some love and cash, Surfer Blood is giving us Tarot Classics, a four song EP that picks up where Astro Coast left off.
Pixies recently asked Surfer Blood to serve as the opening band for their current tour, and with such songs as “Miranda” and “Voyager Reprise,” you’ll have a hard time noticing where the opener ends and the headliner begins—both songs are straight out of the Bossanova songbook. One could whine about how derivative they are, but who cares when Surfer Blood refuse to write anything other than terrific songs packed with chops, heart, and earworms.
Best of all is the EP’s closer “Drinking Problem”—a relaxed, feedback-drizzled jam that feels more autobiographical than the band usually is, if only because, in this age of Facebook and Twitter, we’re all subject to Surfer Blood’s never-ending and highly enjoyable life on the road. (www.surferblood.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Listen: Jim James – “Same Old Lie” (News) — Jim James, My Morning Jacket
- Check Out a Gallery of Photos of Lush at Their Washington DC 9:30 Club Show on Wednesday (News) — Lush
- DIANA Announce New Album, Share “Confession” (News) — DIANA
- Simon Franglen, composer for The Magnificent Seven & The Voyage of Time (Interview) — Simon Franglen
- Watch: Fear of Men - “Sane” Video (News) — Fear of Men