Mar 14, 2017 Web Exclusive
Find It At: AMAZON
The formula that seems to work for the husband and wife duo Patrick Riley and Alaina Moore is to set out to sea and become inspired to make a record. Their first, Cape Dory, was conceived after a seven-month sailing excursion on a boat they bought together after college. Like a novelist who discovers that private location that yields a great book, the two returned to the open waters, this time on a five-month sail through the Sea of Cortez, to write Yours Conditionally, and then hunkered down in a Colorado cabin to record it.
Tennis' music has reliably imparted simple pleasures, rather than invigorating attention with emotional jolting. True to form, Yours Conditionally reveals its charms in reassuring and unassuming ways, through unspectacular but steady osmosis of a mellow high. Drum patterns unroll as if lifted from a breakbeat sample record, propelling retro-glow tunes that glide along on a sunbeam, never trying to do much more than get you all cheery and relaxed. Moore's sweet soul voice reaches your ears like the scent of honeysuckle through a spring breeze, confiding tender observations, without frailty.
Mixed by Spoon's Jim Eno, there is quite a lovely harmony struck between twinkling electric guitar notes and purring Wurlitzer keys, counterbalanced by recessed bass and brushed in percussion. Don't be surprised if you embrace a loved one for some carefree dancing along to Tennis' newest parcel of twee pop. (www.tennis-music.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Star Stuff (Review) — Chaz Bundick Meets The Mattson 2
- Slowdive Announce First Album in 22 Years, Share Video for New Song - “Sugar For the Pill” (News) — Slowdive
- Mental Illness (Review) — Aimee Mann
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume XXXVIII (Review) —
- Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister Announce Album, Share Video (News) — Bryce Dessner, James McAlister, Nico Muhly, Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister, Sufjan Stevens