Tetris: The Games People Play
Dec 19, 2016 Web Exclusive
Writer and artist Box Brown's treatise on Tetris is a real treat. According to Tetris: The Games People Play, Alexey Pajitnov, Tetris' creator, "believed that games were the perfect confluence of humanity and technology. Games model the human experience. Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally."
Tetris not only shares Pajitnov's story and worldview in relaying the origin of the game and its rise to near-ubiquity in the '90s, it also plumbs the depths and breadth of the concepts and philosophy behind gaming itself. It also chronicles, as a necessary consequence of explaining the Tetris phenomenon, the backstory of a little company called Nintendo and several of the other players that had a hand in Tetris' world takeover.
Throughout all of this—business machinations, Russian politics, software piracy, the roots of mobile gaming, and more—Brown's clear storytelling and deceptively simple and expressive cartooning serve to enrapture, but never bog down, a reader. Fantastic book. (www.firstsecondbooks.com)
Author rating: 8.5/10
- Premiere: The New Pornographers “High Ticket Attractions” Behind-the-Scenes Video (News) — The New Pornographers
- Listen: BNQT (Midlake, Band of Horses, Granddaddy, Franz Ferdinand, Travis) - “Unlikely Force” (News) — Band of Horses, BNQT, Franz Ferdinand, Grandaddy, Jason Lytle, Midlake, Travis
- Listen: Arca - “Saunter” (News) — Arca
- Marissa Nadler Shares New Song, “Rosemary,” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Marissa Nadler, Our First 100 Days
- Elbow - Guy Garvey on “Little Fictions” (Interview) — Elbow, Guy Garvey