The Games People Play
Dec 19, 2016 Web Exclusive
Writer and artist Box Brown's treatise on Tetris is a real treat. According to Tetris: The Games People Play, Alexey Pajitnov, Tetris' creator, "believed that games were the perfect confluence of humanity and technology. Games model the human experience. Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally."
Tetris not only shares Pajitnov's story and worldview in relaying the origin of the game and its rise to near-ubiquity in the '90s, it also plumbs the depths and breadth of the concepts and philosophy behind gaming itself. It also chronicles, as a necessary consequence of explaining the Tetris phenomenon, the backstory of a little company called Nintendo and several of the other players that had a hand in Tetris' world takeover.
Throughout all of this—business machinations, Russian politics, software piracy, the roots of mobile gaming, and more—Brown's clear storytelling and deceptively simple and expressive cartooning serve to enrapture, but never bog down, a reader. Fantastic book. (www.firstsecondbooks.com)
Author rating: 8.5/10
- Angel Olsen Shares New Song, “Fly on Your Wall,” For “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Trump Project (News) — Angel Olsen
- “1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs” 4-Year Anti-Trump Project Launches with R.E.M. Track (News) — 1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs, Dave Eggers, R.E.M.
- 2016 Artist Survey: Katie Stelmanis of Austra (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Austra
- ACLU Benefit Comp Features New Mount Eerie and The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Songs, and More (News) — Mount Eerie, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Surfer Blood, Dean & Britta
- “Battle Hymns” Charity Protest Comp Features Stephen Malkmus, Carl Newman, and Carrie Brownstein (News) — Stephen Merchant, Pavement, The New Pornographers, Built to Spill, Carrie Brownstein, Sleater-Kinney, Superchunk, Quasi, Corin Tucker Band