The Bridge (Season 2)
FX, Wednesdays 10 p.m.
Jul 09, 2014
Little time has passed since the events that unfolded during the season one finale of The Bridge. The season two opener finds detectives Marco Ruiz (Demián Bichir) and Sonya Cross (Diane Kruger) once again on their respective sides of the Mexican/United States border. Ruiz, depressed from a devastating loss experienced in the first season, has become a target of corrupt cops in his own precinct. Meanwhile, Cross confronts her own troubled past in the form of the brother of the man who murdered her sister. Though their paths seem to have diverged, the discovery of a dead cartel member in Texas promises to reunite the one-time partners and reluctant friends on a case that already finds both in over their heads.
Many debut shows seem inspired by a one-season idea that's then drawn out over multiple years. Upon initial glance, this could be said for The Bridge. A body dropped directly center on the U.S./Mexican border brings American and Mexican cops together. Once the case is closed, the partnership ends. The creative team behind The Bridge does a laudable job extending the premise into a second season, expanding upon past character relationships and mining the first season for history to tap into. Franka Potente (Run Lola Run, The Bourne Identity) is intriguingly eerie as the mysterious and newly introduced Eleanor Nacht, a woman whose role in upcoming events is unclear, but whose murderous tendencies are not.
First time viewers are encouraged to watch the first season before adding The Bridge to their weekly viewing lineup. With character relationships already complicated by events both on and off-screen in season one, season two drops viewers immediately into the deep end. One has to be both in the know, as well as acclimated to the gory violence and corpses that frequently appear on camera in order to follow along. As long as Cross and Ruiz's renewed partnership seems necessary, season one fans should welcome the return of The Bridge. (www.fxnetworks.com/thebridge)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Premiere: The New Pornographers “High Ticket Attractions” Behind-the-Scenes Video (News) — The New Pornographers
- Listen: BNQT (Midlake, Band of Horses, Granddaddy, Franz Ferdinand, Travis) - “Unlikely Force” (News) — Band of Horses, BNQT, Franz Ferdinand, Grandaddy, Jason Lytle, Midlake, Travis
- Listen: Arca - “Saunter” (News) — Arca
- Marissa Nadler Shares New Song, “Rosemary,” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Marissa Nadler, Our First 100 Days
- Elbow - Guy Garvey on “Little Fictions” (Interview) — Elbow, Guy Garvey