The Inner Mansions
Nov 05, 2012 Web Exclusive
Teen Daze’s The Inner Mansions is an almost unbearably lush collection of dance-pop draped in synthesizer gauze. It’s described as a more spiritual and introspective record for Teen Daze, nom de plume of Canadian electronic musician, Matt Halversen. Unquestionably lovely as it may be, it lacks enough friction to stick to one’s ribs after even the most focused listen. Caught in a perpetual wistfulness, it lacks the assertion to stick out as anything more than background music.
Still, it’s a rather gorgeous background and Halversen does have an angelic falsetto that makes such songs as “Garden 1” positively dreamy. Song for song, there’s nothing at all wrong with The Inner Mansions. A whole album of this sort of thing, however, feels like sprinkling white sugar on a supermarket layer cake—it’s excessively appealing to only one sense and though it’s quite filling it doesn’t manage to be nourishing.
Author rating: 5/10
Average reader rating: 5/10
- Watch: The Lonely Island - “Semicolon” (Feat. Solange) Lyric Video (News) — The Lonely Island
- Listen: Rose Windows - “Wartime Lovers” (News) — Rose Windows
- Watch: London Grammar - “Wasting My Young Years” Video (News) — London Grammar
- Watch: Boards of Canada Share New Music on Video Screen in Downtown Tokyo (News) — Boards of Canada
- Watch: The xx and Jessie Ware Cover Modjo’s “Lady” and Stardust’s “Music Sounds Better With You” (News) — Jessie Ware, The xx