The Inner Mansions
Nov 05, 2012 Web Exclusive
Teen Daze’s The Inner Mansions is an almost unbearably lush collection of dance-pop draped in synthesizer gauze. It’s described as a more spiritual and introspective record for Teen Daze, nom de plume of Canadian electronic musician, Matt Halversen. Unquestionably lovely as it may be, it lacks enough friction to stick to one’s ribs after even the most focused listen. Caught in a perpetual wistfulness, it lacks the assertion to stick out as anything more than background music.
Still, it’s a rather gorgeous background and Halversen does have an angelic falsetto that makes such songs as “Garden 1” positively dreamy. Song for song, there’s nothing at all wrong with The Inner Mansions. A whole album of this sort of thing, however, feels like sprinkling white sugar on a supermarket layer cake—it’s excessively appealing to only one sense and though it’s quite filling it doesn’t manage to be nourishing.
Author rating: 5/10
Average reader rating: 5/10
- 2013 Artist Survey: ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (Interview) — …And You Will Know us by the Trail of Dead, Artist Surveys 2013
- 2013 Artist Survey: World’s End Press (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2013, World’s End Press
- Announcing the Under the Radar App - The New Interactive Digital Magazine (News) —
- 2013 Artist Survey: The Spook School (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2013, The Spook School
- Listen: Tame Impala - “Backwards” (feat. Kendrick Lamar) (News) — Tame Impala