The Inner Mansions
Nov 05, 2012 Web Exclusive
Teen Daze’s The Inner Mansions is an almost unbearably lush collection of dance-pop draped in synthesizer gauze. It’s described as a more spiritual and introspective record for Teen Daze, nom de plume of Canadian electronic musician, Matt Halversen. Unquestionably lovely as it may be, it lacks enough friction to stick to one’s ribs after even the most focused listen. Caught in a perpetual wistfulness, it lacks the assertion to stick out as anything more than background music.
Still, it’s a rather gorgeous background and Halversen does have an angelic falsetto that makes such songs as “Garden 1” positively dreamy. Song for song, there’s nothing at all wrong with The Inner Mansions. A whole album of this sort of thing, however, feels like sprinkling white sugar on a supermarket layer cake—it’s excessively appealing to only one sense and though it’s quite filling it doesn’t manage to be nourishing.
Author rating: 5/10
Average reader rating: 5/10
- Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks and Nicolas Winding Refn on ‘The Neon Demon’ (Interview) —
- Stream Jenny Lewis Supergroup Nice As Fuck’s Surprise-Released Debut Album (News) — Nice as Fuck, Jenny Lewis
- Cat’s Eyes (Interview) — Cat’s Eyes
- Watch: Deerhoof - “The Devil and his Anarchic Surrealist Retinue” Video (News) — Deerhoof
- Thom Yorke, Paul Mccartney, Trent Reznor and More Lobby Congress for Gun Control (News) — Thom Yorke, Paul McCartney, Trent Reznor, Lady Gaga