Studio: Cohen Media Group
Directed by Asghar Farhadi
Jan 27, 2017
Issue # 59 - 15th Anniversary
Emad and Rana are a young couple living in Tehran and acting opposite each other in a community theater production of Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman. When circumstances force them to hastily move into a new apartment, a chance encounter with a client of the previous tenant sets off a chain of events that threaten to destroy their marriage and their work.
The Salesman is very much of a piece with writer/director Asghar Farhadi’s 2011 Academy Award-winning masterpiece, A Separation. Both films deal with the wide-ranging repercussions that tragedy can have on the lives of everyday people. While The Salesman forgoes the expansive, knotty moral tapestry of A Separation for a simpler narrative, it maintains the same sharp focus on the complexities of human interaction and moral dilemmas. Farhadi constructs a premise that, in lesser hands, could make for a cheap thriller and transforms it into a drama that will keep viewers’ sympathies shifting until the final moments.
Author rating: 7.5/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Black Lips Announce New Album Produced by Sean Lennon, Share “Can’t Hold On” (News) — Black Lips
- Saint Etienne Announce New Album, Share “Heather” (News) — Saint Etienne
- Thurston Moore Announces New Album, Shares Video for “Smoke of Dreams” (News) — Sonic Youth, Thurston Moore
- Kevin Morby Announces New Album, Shares Lyric Video for New Song “Come to Me Now” (News) — Kevin Morby
- !!! Announce New Album and Tour Dates, Share “The One 2” Video (News) — !!!