The Tomorrow People
CW, Wednesdays 9/8 Central
Oct 09, 2013
Issue #47 - September/October 2013 - MGMT
The title The Tomorrow People suggests innovation, progress, and futuristic ideas. Instead, this action sci-fi series is festered with tired ideas and tropes and not a hint of originality or spectacle. It centers on an emerging class of people with unique abilities. They are the next step in human evolution, and a sinister organization wants to track them down because they are dangerous. Seriously.
Only, these X-Men—excuse me, "Tomorrow People"—all have the same three abilities—teleportation, telepathy, and telekinesis. Or, the "three Ts." And these Heroes—sorry, "Tomorrow People"—have to track down a leader who has promised to lead them to a new land where they can live free from persecution. Of course, the bad guys won't let them do that, because they have to round them up to protect society. Never mind that both parties essentially want the same thing—the "Tomorrow People" living in isolation—they can't be bothered to actually sit down and talk about it, even though the leaders of both groups are brothers. Tell me you didn't see that coming.
Even an overused concept can be made fresh with good presentation, but The Tomorrow People, which is a remake of a 1970s British show, is completely bogged down with rushed exposition, stale acting, and pointless action scenes that leave not much to look forward to. (www.cwtv.com/shows/the-tomorrow-people/)
Author rating: 3/10
Average reader rating: 5/10
- Under the Radar’s Protest Sign Auction Ends Tomorrow – Moby, Mew, Tegan and Sara, and More (News) — Mew, Moby, Tegan and Sara, Amanda Palmer
- Minor Victories Announce New Instrumental Album, Share Video for New Version of “Cogs” (News) — Minor Victories, Mogwai, Editors, Slowdive
- Listen: Amber Arcades - “Which Will” (Nick Drake Cover) (News) — Amber Arcades, Nick Drake
- Sun Kil Moon (Mark Kozelek) and Jesu Share New Anti-Donald Trump Song (News) — Sun Kil Moon, Jesu, Mark Kozelek, Jesu/Sun Kil Moon
- Man With a Plan (Review) —