Trillium (Issue #1)
Written and drawn by Jeff Lemire
Aug 09, 2013 Web Exclusive
The first chapter of Jeff Lemire's (Animal Man, Justice League Dark) highly anticipated new series for Vertigo, Trillium issue #1 is a promising start for what could turn out to be a terrific story. Billed as a sci-fi love story, Trillium takes place in two different settings and time periods: 3797, among a humanity whittled down to only a few thousand in number, and a Peruvian jungle in 1921. The main characters are a botanist (the one in the future) and a war-scarred explorer (the one in the past) who meet via means not yet explained, but likely supernatural in nature.
The initial issue lacks the immediacy or the depth of emotion present in the early chapters of Lemire's best work (Sweet Tooth, Essex County), though there's enough complexity in each character to make Trillium a series to look forward to. If Lemire can swing his eye to romantic love in the same ways he's looked at familial love and friendship in the past, it might even be something greater than a good sci-fi series. (www.vertigocomics.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Angel Olsen Shares New Song, “Fly on Your Wall,” For “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Trump Project (News) — Angel Olsen
- “1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs” 4-Year Anti-Trump Project Launches with R.E.M. Track (News) — 1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs, Dave Eggers, R.E.M.
- 2016 Artist Survey: Katie Stelmanis of Austra (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Austra
- ACLU Benefit Comp Features New Mount Eerie and The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Songs, and More (News) — Mount Eerie, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Surfer Blood, Dean & Britta
- “Battle Hymns” Charity Protest Comp Features Stephen Malkmus, Carl Newman, and Carrie Brownstein (News) — Stephen Merchant, Pavement, The New Pornographers, Built to Spill, Carrie Brownstein, Sleater-Kinney, Superchunk, Quasi, Corin Tucker Band