Cavern of Anti-Matter
Void Beats / Invocation Trex
Tim Gane's spirit of improvisation has truly found fertile ground in his latest release, with a fresh ensemble of talents that is Cavern of Anti-Matter. Always welcoming collaboration with counterparts of avant-garde experimentation, Gane has teamed with Holger Zapf as well as former Stereolab bandmate, drummer Joe Dilworth, along with a wealth of surprising guest appearances. This unexpected gathering coordinates to create an output of hypnotic perpetual motion. Say hello to driving music.
On Void Beats / Invocation Trex, arrangements build momentum and snowball into a vitality to which one can only add accent. The attention to detail in the mixing of these accents is impressive in this collection, as it all coalesces into a sound that is both silky and relentlessly progressive.
The approach to forming circular as opposed to linear songs that Gane latched onto towards the end of his Stereolab days is found here, but with a more vibrant bouquet thanks to the expansion of the sound palette from computers and electronics that Gane has mastered.
There are moments when the facility and savvy of electronic expression become indulgent and burdensome, detracting from any appreciation of craft. Still, this delivery from Gane and friends achieves a swirling and entrancing effect. (www.cavernofantimatter.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- The War on Drugs Share 11-Minute New Song – “Thinking of a Place” (News) — The War on Drugs
- Fargo (Season 3, Episode 1: “The Law of Vacant Places” Recap and Review) (Review) — Ewan McGregor
- Shout Out Louds Share Video for New Song, “Oh Oh,” and Announce Tour Dates (News) — Shout Out Louds
- Jonathan Rado Shares “Surgeonman” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Foxygen, Jonathan Rado, Our First 100 Days
- Blondie Share New B-Side – “The Breaks” (News) — Blondie