Cavern of Anti-Matter
Void Beats / Invocation Trex
Tim Gane's spirit of improvisation has truly found fertile ground in his latest release, with a fresh ensemble of talents that is Cavern of Anti-Matter. Always welcoming collaboration with counterparts of avant-garde experimentation, Gane has teamed with Holger Zapf as well as former Stereolab bandmate, drummer Joe Dilworth, along with a wealth of surprising guest appearances. This unexpected gathering coordinates to create an output of hypnotic perpetual motion. Say hello to driving music.
On Void Beats / Invocation Trex, arrangements build momentum and snowball into a vitality to which one can only add accent. The attention to detail in the mixing of these accents is impressive in this collection, as it all coalesces into a sound that is both silky and relentlessly progressive.
The approach to forming circular as opposed to linear songs that Gane latched onto towards the end of his Stereolab days is found here, but with a more vibrant bouquet thanks to the expansion of the sound palette from computers and electronics that Gane has mastered.
There are moments when the facility and savvy of electronic expression become indulgent and burdensome, detracting from any appreciation of craft. Still, this delivery from Gane and friends achieves a swirling and entrancing effect. (www.cavernofantimatter.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Elbow Confirm New Album Details and Share New Song, “Magnificent (She Says)” (News) — Elbow
- Grammy Nominations Announced: Beyoncé, Drake, Rihanna, and Kanye West Lead the Field (News) — Beyoncé, Drake, Kanye West, Rihanna, Radiohead, Parquet Courts, David Bowie
- Horror Icon Bill Moseley (Interview) — Bill Moseley
- A Corpse Wired for Sound (Review) — Merchandise
- Mogwai Announce 2017 North American Tour Dates Playing “Atomic” in its Entirety (News) — Mogwai