We Won’t Settle for Less: Chic at the End of Disco
Published by Rhino Single Notes
Oct 08, 2012 Issue #42 - The Protest Issue
Among the first group of titles offered in Rhino’s new Single Notes series of digital-only e-books is a study of the initial and ongoing influence of Chic. Michaelangelo Matos alternates a dissection of Chic’s massive hit single “Good Times” with a look back at how core members Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards laid out a master plan for success in the days of disco, even though Rodgers is quoted as personally disdaining the genre.
At roughly a dozen pages, Matos’ study is like the literary equivalent of a 7” record, but he touches on a number of items that pique interest in the subject. The appropriation of Chic’s music by the nascent rap community gets some deserved focus. And their primary inspirations were KISS and Roxy Music?
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 4/10
- Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency (Review) —
- Moby Shares Two New Anti-Donald Trump Songs - “Trump Is on Your Side” and “Little Failure” (News) — Moby
- Bid on Protest Signs by Tegan and Sara, Amanda Palmer, Best Coast, and More in Our Protest Auction (News) — Tegan and Sara, Amanda Palmer, Best Coast
- Donald Glover Cast as a Young Lando Calrissian in Han Solo Centered Star Wars Prequel (News) — Childish Gambino, Star Wars
- Dekalog Blu-ray/DVD (Review) —