We Won’t Settle for Less: Chic at the End of Disco
Published by Rhino Single Notes
Oct 08, 2012 Issue #42 - The Protest Issue
Among the first group of titles offered in Rhino’s new Single Notes series of digital-only e-books is a study of the initial and ongoing influence of Chic. Michaelangelo Matos alternates a dissection of Chic’s massive hit single “Good Times” with a look back at how core members Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards laid out a master plan for success in the days of disco, even though Rodgers is quoted as personally disdaining the genre.
At roughly a dozen pages, Matos’ study is like the literary equivalent of a 7” record, but he touches on a number of items that pique interest in the subject. The appropriation of Chic’s music by the nascent rap community gets some deserved focus. And their primary inspirations were KISS and Roxy Music?
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 4/10
- Premiere: André Obin – “Further Away” (News) — André Obin
- Thomas Fekete of Surfer Blood Diagnosed with Cancer, Asks for Help with Treatment Costs (News) — Surfer Blood
- The Walking Dead: Death in Primetime (Interview) — The Walking Dead, Andrew Lincoln, Robert Kirkman, Melissa McBride, Gale Anne Hurd, Michael Cudlitz, Josh McDermitt
- Twin Shadow Issues Statement on Tour Bus Accident (News) — Twin Shadow
- Watch: Florence and the Machine and Father John Misty Perform “Love Hurts” at Coachella (News) — Florence and the Machine, Father John Misty