We Won’t Settle for Less: Chic at the End of Disco
Published by Rhino Single Notes
Oct 08, 2012 Issue #42 - The Protest Issue
Among the first group of titles offered in Rhino’s new Single Notes series of digital-only e-books is a study of the initial and ongoing influence of Chic. Michaelangelo Matos alternates a dissection of Chic’s massive hit single “Good Times” with a look back at how core members Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards laid out a master plan for success in the days of disco, even though Rodgers is quoted as personally disdaining the genre.
At roughly a dozen pages, Matos’ study is like the literary equivalent of a 7” record, but he touches on a number of items that pique interest in the subject. The appropriation of Chic’s music by the nascent rap community gets some deserved focus. And their primary inspirations were KISS and Roxy Music?
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 4/10
- Lana Del Rey Announces New Album, Shares Ghostly Album Trailer (News) — Lana Del Rey
- Kirin J Callinan Shares Mockumentary Starring Mac DeMarco, Mark Ronson, and Weyes Blood (News) — Kirin J Callinan, Jack Black, GUM, Mac DeMarco, Pond, Mark Ronson, Sebastian Tellier, Tame Impala, Weyes Blood
- Warpaint Announce New Tour Dates for May and June (News) — Warpaint
- Watch the New Trailer for “Valerian” (Plus Recent Trailers for “Justice League” and “Spider-Man”) (News) — Ben Affleck, Cara Delevinge, Dane DeHaan, Ezra Miller, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Jon Watts, Justice League, Luc Besson, Marisa Tomei, Michael Keaton, Ray Fisher, Rihanna, Robert Downey Jr., Spider-Man, Tom Holland, Zack Snyder
- Watch: The Magnetic Fields - “‘05 Never Again” Video (News) — The Magnetic Fields