We Won’t Settle for Less: Chic at the End of Disco
Published by Rhino Single Notes
Oct 08, 2012 Issue #42 - The Protest Issue
Among the first group of titles offered in Rhino’s new Single Notes series of digital-only e-books is a study of the initial and ongoing influence of Chic. Michaelangelo Matos alternates a dissection of Chic’s massive hit single “Good Times” with a look back at how core members Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards laid out a master plan for success in the days of disco, even though Rodgers is quoted as personally disdaining the genre.
At roughly a dozen pages, Matos’ study is like the literary equivalent of a 7” record, but he touches on a number of items that pique interest in the subject. The appropriation of Chic’s music by the nascent rap community gets some deserved focus. And their primary inspirations were KISS and Roxy Music?
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 4/10
- Check Out Photos of Perfume Genius, Iceage and More at Le Guess Who (News) — Bonnie “Prince” Billy, Brandt Brauer Frick, Iceage, Dean Blunt, Le Guess Who? 2014, Le Guess Who? 2014: Day Two, Perfume Genius
- Watch: The Decembrists Preview Music Video for “Make You Better,” Starring Nick Offerman (News) — The Decemberists
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Perfume Genius, Flying Lotus, and Colleen Green (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Watch: Sky Ferreira Cover Hole’s “Asking For It” With DIIV’s Zachary Cole (News) — Sky Ferreira
- It Happened One Night Blu-ray (Review) —