Karen O and the Kids
Where the Wild Things Are OST
Nov 24, 2009 Web Exclusive
Karen O pulls together an "untrained" children's choir, the rest of Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Brian Chase, Nick Zinner), Dean Fertita (Queens of the Stone Age, The Raconteurs), Bradford Cox (Deerhunter), Greg Kurstin (The Bird and the Bee), Imaad Wasif (New Folk Implosion, Alaska), and members of Liars, The Dead Weather, Afternoons, Gris Gris, and Services for an entirely successful, all-star soundtrack for Spike Jonze's new film.
O does an excellent job accompanying the perpetual dawn and dusk of the film's photography with an organic, absolutely non-obtrusive series of interrelated songs. Each chosen track truly helped fill out the fragmented landscape of childhood frustration, sadness, and joy. Highlights include "Rumpus," "Food Is Still Hot," and "All is Love," which has also been released as a single. But, the most impressive song here is a simple, tasteful cover of Daniel Johnston's "Worried Shoes." The album is rounded out by two pieces that were not used in the film, "Capsize" and "Cliffs," as well as "Lost Fur" by score composer Carter Burwell, but strangely does not include the rerecorded version of Arcade Fire's "Wake Up," that was prominently featured in trailer. (www.wherethewildthingsare.warnerbros.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Listen: Young Dreams Share New Song - “Of the City” (News) — Young Dreams
- R.E.M. Announce 25th Anniversary Reissue of “Out of Time” (News) — R.E.M.
- Watch: LUH - “Lost Under Heaven” Video (News) — LUH
- Watch Metronomy Perform “16 Beat” in the Baggage Claim Area of the Paris Airport (News) — Metronomy
- Listen: Florence and the Machine Share New Tim Burton Soundtrack Song - “Wish That You Were Here” (News) — Florence and the Machine, Tim Burton