Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Guts
Jan 24, 2013 Issue #44 - Best of 2012 - Grimes
Rather than distancing Wonder Woman from her origins in Greek mythology, volume two of the collection continues to further enmesh the character in the machinations of her devilishly godly siblings and aunts and uncles. The efforts of Diana (aka Wonder Woman), along with Hermes and a couple more, to save Zola and her unborn child help establish a new, invigorating twist on the classic mythology, both in writer Brian Azzarello's phenomenal imagination but in artist Cliff Chiang's unmatched sense of scene and style. While Tony Akins' fill-in chapters are fine-good even-it's hard not to miss Chiang in those segments.
In this volume, Diana traverses Hell and Olympus in what may be the best balance of action with truly revealing character moments in mainstream comics today. With stunning heroism and surprising betrayals, perhaps the hardest part is to patiently soak in Chiang's pencils despite the urgent need to uncover what Azzarello has slated on the next page. Wonder Woman is tip top of DC's current stack and highly recommended.
Author rating: 8.5/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Watch: The Flaming Lips - “Nidgy Nie (Never No)” Video (News) — The Flaming Lips
- Watch First Trailer for Paris Attacks Documentary “Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis (Our Friends)” (News) — Colin Hanks, Eagles of Death Metal, U2
- Listen: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - “Down (Is Where I Want to Be)” (News) — Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- of Montreal Surprise-Releases New “Rune Husk” EP (News) — of Montreal
- New Anti-Donald Trump Compilation Features Angel Olsen, Jens Lekman, Toro Y Moi, Mitski, and More (News) — Angel Olsen, Mitski, Whitney, Toro y Moi, TORRES, Strand of Oaks, The Range, The Mountain Goats, Avey Tare, Jens Lekman, Bully, Twin Peaks, Wild Nothing, How to Dress Well