Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Guts
Jan 24, 2013 Issue #44 - Best of 2012 - Grimes
Rather than distancing Wonder Woman from her origins in Greek mythology, volume two of the collection continues to further enmesh the character in the machinations of her devilishly godly siblings and aunts and uncles. The efforts of Diana (aka Wonder Woman), along with Hermes and a couple more, to save Zola and her unborn child help establish a new, invigorating twist on the classic mythology, both in writer Brian Azzarello's phenomenal imagination but in artist Cliff Chiang's unmatched sense of scene and style. While Tony Akins' fill-in chapters are fine-good even-it's hard not to miss Chiang in those segments.
In this volume, Diana traverses Hell and Olympus in what may be the best balance of action with truly revealing character moments in mainstream comics today. With stunning heroism and surprising betrayals, perhaps the hardest part is to patiently soak in Chiang's pencils despite the urgent need to uncover what Azzarello has slated on the next page. Wonder Woman is tip top of DC's current stack and highly recommended.
Author rating: 8.5/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Watch: Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl in a Drum Battle with Animal on Tonight’s “The Muppets” (News) — Foo Fighters, The Muppets
- Watch Tom Hiddleston as Hank Williams in First Trailer for “I Saw the Light” (News) — Hank Williams, Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Hiddleston
- Joanna Newsom Announces More U.S. Tour Dates, Including Apollo Theatre Show (News) — Joanna Newsom
- Watch: Suede - “Like Kids” Video (News) — Suede
- Listen: Bloc Party - “The Good News” (News) — Bloc Party