Woodstock—40 Years On: Back to Yasgur’s Farm
Sep 30, 2009 Web Exclusive
Every decade following Woodstock there's a flurry of retrospectives, and the 40-year anniversary is no exception. This one comes hot on the heels of an AARP membership for most attendees, but that doesn't mean a new crop of music fans can't be browbeat with the event's mythology. See, kids, there was a time when neither Mountain Dew nor Clear Channel played a prominent role in music festivals, when pull-tabs were hauled past lax security, when the money-making aspect had yet to make things unbearable. Woodstock made things unbearable the old-fashioned way: half a million naked hippies rolling around in the mud.
Thing is, setting aside all the hype, you realize that it was a pretty damned good festival lineup, with a number of '60s luminaries and a favorable lean toward the riffier end of things.
What this box set attempts to do is present a less manicured version of events. You get a proper chronological order, between-set announcements beyond the bad brown acid warnings (there was also bad blue acid), Pete Townsend kicking Abbie Hoffman off the stage, a few songs from all but a few of the bands, and even the righting of a few wrongs, like the exclusion of the amazing-voiced Bert Sommer from the film and previous albums. It includes 38 previously unreleased tracks, many from the most prominent artists—Ravi Shankar, Jefferson Airplane, CCR, The Dead, and plenty others.
Rhino attempts to place the focus back on the music, to put you right back there in the mud. And they succeed, man—just don't eat the brown Metamucil. (www.rhino.com)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 5/10
- Under the Radar’s Black Friday Sale - 35% Off Subscriptions and 50% Off Back Issues (News) —
- Watch: Tame Impala – “The Less I Know the Better” Video (Fairly NSFW) (News) — Tame Impala
- Le Guess Who 2015 Day Three: Destroyer, Suuns and Jerusalem in My Heart and More (Review) — Le Guess Who? 2015: Day Three, Le Guess Who? 2015, Naive Set, Silver Ferns, Destroyer, Jerusalem In My Heart, SUNS, Bo Ningen
- Under the Radar’s Holiday Gift Guide 2015 Part 1: Graphic Novels and Books (News) —
- Dark Knight III: The Master Race #1 (Review) — DC Comics