Under the Radar is an indie music magazine that prints five issues a year, is distributed across North America and internationally, and bills itself as “The solution to music pollution.” The independent magazine was founded in 2001 by publishers (and now husband and wife) Mark Redfern (a writer) and Wendy Lynch Redfern (a photographer) and is known for in-depth and characterized interviews with bands large and small, as well as their accompanying unique and stylistic photo-shoots. It offers intelligent, and sometimes humorous, articles that go far beyond a band’s major influences, often accompanied by exclusive photo shoots. Under the Radar conducted the last interview and photo-shoot with the late Elliott Smith in 2003 and also garnered media attention for its 2004 and 2008 music and politics issues (The Protest Issues) and their associated charity auctions that benefited such organizations as War Child. The tastemaking publication strives to be ahead of the curve, interviewing exciting young artists months or years before the mainstream media catches on and has helped to break such artists as Fleet Foxes and Vampire Weekend, being the first nationally distributed print magazine to interview either of those bands. Under the Radar was also an early supporter of artists like Bright Eyes, Interpol, Death Cab for Cutie, Rilo Kiley, M. Ward, TV on the Radio, and Feist, and was the first American magazine to interview such international artists as The Duke Spirit, Friendly Fires, Glasvegas, The Pipettes, The Dears, Mew, Los Campesinos!, Mystery Jets, The Go! Team, Editors, Love Is All, and many others. Each issue includes up to 200 reviews of the most interesting releases in music, film, television, DVDs, books, comic books, and video games. Under the Radar’s website features web-exclusive reviews, news, interviews, and media, as well as an extensive archive of back issue content.
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Watch: First Aid Kit – “Walk Unafraid” Video (News) — First Aid Kit, R.E.M.
- Classics (Review) — She & Him
- by:Larm Announces a New Wave of Artists to Play the 2015 Festival (News) — By:Larm 2015, Beatrice Eli, CVLT, Kid Astray, Soft as Snow, Sondre Justad
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist