of Montreal Announce New Album, Share “it’s different for girls”
Innocence Reaches Due Out August 12 via Polyvinyl
Kevin Barnes and of Montreal seem to release a new album every year these days, but what's even more impressive is that most of them are fairly great records. Now 2016's offering has been revealed, of Montreal has announced a new album, Innocence Reaches, which is due out August 12 via Polyvinyl. The band has also shared the album's first single, the fantastically produced pop song "it's different for girls." Listen to the song below, followed by the album's tracklist and cover art.
Innocence Reaches is of Montreal's 14th full-length. Barnes says that for once he was inspired by contemporary sounds. "Forever I've been detached from current music," Barnes says in a press release. "I got into this bubble of only being in some other time period. I came up picking apart The Beach Boys, The Beatles, and symphonic pieces. But last year, I was hearing Jack Ü, Chairlift, Arca, and others, thinking about low end and sound collage. It was an extra layer to geek out on."
The album was partially recorded in Paris, where Barnes lived at a friend's home studio for two weeks. As Barnes explains: "Being in that place where no one looks at me twice and I can't even understand the language was like entering a parallel universe. It was cathartic and inspiring to amputate myself from my normal life and feel like an individual outside of all the baggage and memories."
The album is the follow-up to 2015's Aureate Gloom. "It's different for girls" was premiered on Zane Lowe's Beats 1 show as today's World Record. The album's cover was done by Kevin's brother, David Barnes, a first time father who with the art wanted to express his "wonderment for the female anatomy."
Also feel free to read our 2015 interview with Kevin Barnes on Aureate Gloom and why he doesn't get Taylor Swift, among other things.
Innocence Reaches Tracklist:
1. let's relate
2. it's different for girls
3 gratuitous abysses
4. my fair lady
5. les chants de maldoror
6. a sport and a pastime
7. ambassador bridge
8. def pacts
9. chaos arpeggiating
10. nursing slopes
11. trashed exes
12. chap pilot
- Nine Albums Out Today Worth Hearing: Gorillaz, Feist, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, and More (News) — BNQT, Feist, Gorillaz, Juliana Hatfield, Little Cub, Mew, Sufjan Stevens, Sylvan Esso, Thurston Moore
- Speedy Ortiz Covers TV on the Radio’s “Young Liars” for Planned Parenthood Covers Album (News) — Speedy Ortiz, TV on the Radio
- Waxahatchee Shares “Silver (Demo)” for “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Donald Trump Project (News) — Our First 100 Days, Waxahatchee
- Sufjan Stevens Announces Mixtape Featuring “Carrie & Lowell” Outtakes, Remixes, and Demos (News) — Sufjan Stevens
- Tribeca 2017: Brian Shoaf and Zachary Quinto on “Aardvark” (Interview) — Zachary Quinto, Brian Shoaf