The Flaming Lips to Appear in a New “X-Men ‘92” Comic Book from Marvel
August Issue Also Features The Toadies
The Flaming Lips are set to make a guest appearance in issue #6 of X-Men '92. The Marvel Comics series takes place in 1992 and in the X-Men '90s continuity. The band even appears on the cover of the issue. Never mind that it's the current lineup of the band on the cover and they look like they do now, Wayne Coyne's grey beard and all, than how they did in 1992. Perhaps in the interior pages of the issue the band will look more like their '90s selves.
Billboard premiered the cover of the issue and also spoke to Coyne. "Being in an X-Men comic where they (the X-Men themselves) actually run security at one of our shows... I should have written a song about that," Coyne tells Billboard. "I mean... before it really happened."
Another '90s band, The Toadies, also appears in this August issue. "As a lifelong fan of comics in general, and X-Men in particular, I couldn't be more excited that the Toadies are appearing as characters in X-Men '92!!" said Toadies drummer Mark Reznicek. Toadies bassist Doni Blair added: "As an X-Men fan since 1977 this is a dream come true. Five year old me would do a Kool-Aid spit take on this news."
Billboard also spoke to the two writers of X-Men '92, Chris Sims and Chad Bowers. Bowers explained that The Flaming Lips and The Toadies are his two favorite bands. Sims explained the genesis of the idea: "It really all started with us joking about the kind of stunts they'd pull in comics in the '90s, and Chad and I going 'hey, wouldn't it be great if we could get a real-life band to appear in the issue, like they did with celebrity guest appearances back then.' We just didn't think we'd actually get to do it!"
- CHVRCHES Working on Third Album with Dave Stewart of Eurythmics (News) — CHVRCHES, Dave Stewart, Eurythmics
- Detective Comics Vol. 1: Rise of the Batmen (Review) — DC Comics
- Listen: The New Pornographers - “This Is the World of the Theater” (News) — Neko Case, The New Pornographers
- Watch Los Campesinos! As Daytime TV Contestants in “5 Flucloxacillin” Video (News) — Los Campesinos!
- Listen: Robyn Hitchcock - “Mad Shelley’s Letterbox” (News) — Robyn Hitchcock