The Flaming Lips To Play Most Concerts In A Single Day
Attempting Eight Shows in 24 Hours
Always game for a challenge, The Flaming Lips have announced that they will attempt to break the world record for "most live concerts in 24 hours in multiple cities." With Jay-Z currently holding the title at seven (accomplished via plane in 2006 during his fittingly titled "Hangar Tour"), Wayne Coyne and Co. will travel through the southern states by bus on June 27, starting at Memphis and ending at New Orleans, playing eight online-streaming shows along the way. In a press release, Coyne says:
"Like when the Sex Pistols did their one and only American tour, the weird mid-south (Memphis to New Orleans), has something very absurd about it when contrasted with radical visionary musicians. … Elvis and Jazz were at one time radical, but are now mainstream tourist attractions. … I don't remember if I was asked or if I volunteered. … But, I've accepted the job of, not DRIVING, but commandeering the Magical Mystery Merry Prankster bus. … I've accepted the attempt at breaking the world record of performing 8 shows in 24 hours. And I've explained to the music freaks at MTV, VH1 and CMT that I am not a host. … But, I always liked the way Jerry Lewis would get all sweaty toward the end of his yearly telethon. … To play and sing Flaming Lips songs at 8:00 in the morning… Well… I'm open to new experiences…"
Coyne also discusses the project in a recently posted interview with Mashable.
- Wilco Announce June Tour Dates and Confirm Full Solid Sound Festival Lineup (News) — Wilco
- Watch Strand of Oaks Perform “Rest of It” and “Radio Kids” on “Conan” (News) — Conan O’Brien, Strand of Oaks
- Watch: Little Cub Share Politically Fueled “Hypnotise” Video (News) — Little Cub
- Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys Announces New Solo Album, Shares “Shine on Me” Video (News) — Dan Auerbach, The Arcs, The Black Keys
- Watch: Mac DeMarco - “This Old Dog” Video (News) — Mac DeMarco