Apr 27, 2012 Web Exclusive
Taking a record rife with compelling ideas as its focus, a remix redux of Battles' 2011 album Gloss Drop is an intriguing prospect, though creative license sometimes translates here as unbridled indulgence.
One of the album's most successful moments comes with The Alchemist's remix of "Futura." Retaining the song's basic melody, he uses some splashy rhythm and electronic squall to ratchet up a delicious tension.
The Gui Boratto remix of "Wall Street" sets up a catchy beat with spaghetti western-style guitar, though it bears no resemblance to the madly frantic original track. Elsewhere, the end-of-the-world crescendo initially built in "White Electric" is completely defused by the sleepy beats and rap of Shabazz Palaces, while The Field's remix of "Sweetie & Shag" merely lays a wisp of recorded breath intake over a bed of industrial rattle and hum.
The remixers seem bent on matching Battles' creativity, though the end result, while at times admirable, may leave listeners longing for a full airing of Gloss Drop. (www.bttls.com)
Author rating: 5/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire vs. Peter Gabriel (Interview) — Richard Reed Parry, Peter Gabriel
- Adult Jazz (Interview) — Adult Jazz
- Listen: Broken Social Scene – “Golden Facelift” (News) — Broken Social Scene