Organ Music Not Vibraphone Like I’d Hoped
Aug 01, 2011 #37 – St. Vincent
Find It At: Insound
When does Spencer Krug have time to grocery shop? During downtime between Wolf Parade and Sunset Rubdown, the gatherer of no moss is back with his second installment as Moonface. His first release under this name, the Dreamland EP: marimba and shit-drums, was a stark, 20-minute solo set that offered just what the title advertised. If it seemed indulgent to some, Krug deserved a nod for seeking one more creative outlet.
Organ Music finds Krug digging in for a full-length release under the Moonface brand, and the title again is suitably descriptive (except for those who might have preferred Not Wolf Parade Like I'd Hoped). Employing organ and electronic percussion, Krug shapes five lengthy tracks into an album that is best approached by playing it straight through. Depending on one's view, it could be heard as trance music for indie folks or prog music for electro pop fans.
"Fast Peter" takes off at a twitchy gallop with Krug singing over his organ until he practically deconstructs the song after a few minutes, running over his keys as the music settles into melodic drone. With "Shit-Hawk in the Snow," Krug finds how to best build tension through these limited resources, with his vocals sounding appropriately jittery over an atmosphere of paranoia.
The plodding, downbeat pop of "Loose Heart = Loose Plan" may play with a bit more immediacy, but Krug's brightest moments come at his loosest, like when "Whale Song (Song Instead of a Kiss)" submerges with hypnotic keyboard repetition. (www.moonface.ca)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Lana Del Rey Announces New Album, Shares Ghostly Album Trailer (News) — Lana Del Rey
- Let the Dancers Inherit the Party (Review) — British Sea Power
- Premiere: Reptaliens “Olive Boy” Video (News) —
- Kirin J Callinan Shares Mockumentary Starring Mac DeMarco, Mark Ronson, and Weyes Blood (News) — Kirin J Callinan, Jack Black, GUM, Mac DeMarco, Pond, Mark Ronson, Sebastian Tellier, Tame Impala, Weyes Blood
- Warpaint Announce New Tour Dates for May and June (News) — Warpaint