Public Image Ltd.
What the World Needs Now
Sep 03, 2015 Issue #54 - August/September 2015 - CHVRCHES
Whether you think the world needs another Public Image Ltd record depends entirely on how you feel about John Lydon. The cantankerous master antagonist rarely invokes an ambivalent reaction in people: it's either love or hate. The fact he's been creating an array of startling, throttling sounds for nearly 40 years is, sadly, almost a sideshow.
Public Image Ltd's tenth studio album finds Lydon as restlessly aggressive and sardonically astute as ever. On taut, bass heavy cuts like "Bettie Page" and "Double Trouble" he confronts society's ills through ugly sonic caricatures driven by his own growling, snarling impressionism.
Sonically, it's a dark and moribund affair—"C'est La Vie" is an especially impoverished post-punk funeral march—yet occasional jaunty rhythms, such as "The One," offer a glimpse of a man happy in himself, if not the world around him. It may never swing people's perceptions, but these 11 funk-stained numbers prove John Lydon is still as relevant and necessary as he has ever been. (www.pilofficial.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister Announce Album, Share Video (News) — Bryce Dessner, James McAlister, Nico Muhly, Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner, and James McAlister, Sufjan Stevens
- Whitney Announce 12-Inch, Share Covers of Songs by Dolly Parton and Lion (News) — Whitney, Dolly Parton, Lion
- Multiple Maniacs (Review) — John Waters
- Premiere: The Proper Ornaments Cover The Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Deep One Perfect Morning” (News) — The Proper Ornaments
- Phoenix Announce World Tour, The Lemon Twigs and Whitney to Support Select Dates (News) — Phoenix, Whitney, The Lemon Twigs