Here We Go Magic
The January EP
May 09, 2011 Web Exclusive
Luke Temple and company pick up where they left off with the fine Pigeons, further exploring their '70s-inflected sounds. The January EP veers away from frenetic Talking Heads rave-ups, instead turning towards spacier, quieter orchestrations. Not entirely, of course, as "Backwards Time" features hiccupping vocals that ape David Byrne and a galloping rhythm that would be at home on Remain in Light. The more representative "Song in Three," however, seems ripped right from the Pink Floyd songbook: a swaying, blissful tune.
On the lovely "Hands in the Sky," the clarity of Temple's vocals is a big shift from his early work, where his voice tended to be buried among all the instrumentation. Temple's voice differentiates Here We Go Magic from many other current bands; it's their greatest weapon, by far. "She was gone/And an angel took her place," Temple sings on "Hands in the Sky," one of many lines he imbues with extra meaning by stretching out the notes until his voice breaks into a slight tremolo.
The January EP does not sound like a mere collection of extra songs or B-sides. Of the six songs, not a single one feels unfinished or thrown-away. The fourth track, "Hollywood," feels a bit thin, but only in comparison to the rich textures on either side. (http://www.myspace.com/herewegomagic)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Record Store Day Round-Up (News) — Record Store Day
- Listen: Jamie xx- “Girl” (News) — Jamie xx
- Prince Announces New Deal with Warner Bros., Reissue of “Purple Rain” (News) — Prince
- Check out Photos of Beck, Arcade Fire, Blood Orange and More at Coachella Weekend One (News) — Coachella 2014, Coachella 2014: Weekend 1
- Premiere: Marnie – “Hearts On Fire” Video (News) — Marnie