(Written and drawn by Jeffrey Brown)
May 19, 2010 Web Exclusive
While most of Jeffrey Brown's books are more focused, dealing mostly with one relationship (Clumsy) or general subject matter (Incredible Change-bots!), Undeleted Scenes represents a pretty good cross-section that thankfully highlights plenty of humor along with relationship woes (which, as much as I enjoy Brown's work, can get a little too navel-gazing and tiresome).
This more "grab-bag" approach wasn't necessarily by design; Undeleted Scenes comprises reprints from other collections, anthology work, and previously unpublished works; a decade's worth in one volume. It's 352 pages for 15 bucks.
This is a great entryway into the works of Brown—it contains poignancy, silliness, and some good cartooning. While I won't claim it knocked my socks off, as some sections were better than others, it's a wholly enjoyable tome. Alt-comics fans and comics strip fans should find it in their wheelhouse; this is the kind of book I could probably give to the very same sister or friends that openly turn their noses at books based on capes, fisticuffs, or vampires. Beware of cartoon boobs; mature readers only. (www.topshelfcomix.com)
Author rating: 7/10
Average reader rating: 5/10
- Watch: Tegan and Sara - “BWU” Video (News) — Tegan and Sara
- Oasis Announce Deluxe Reissue of “Be Here Now,” Share New Mix of “D’You Know What I Mean?” (News) — Oasis
- Keegan-Michael Key and Mike Birbiglia on “Don’t Think Twice” (Interview) — Keegan-Michael Key, Mike Birbiglia
- The Walkmen’s Hamilton Leithauser and Vampire Weekend’s Rostam Team Up for New Song - “A 1000 Times” (News) — Hamilton Leithauser, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, Rostam Batmanlij, The Walkmen, Vampire Weekend
- Listen: Chairlift Share Brand New Song - “Get Real” (News) — Chairlift