With Light and With Love
May 09, 2014 Web Exclusive
The eighth album from stoner folk quartet Woods, With Light and With Love is their first recorded in a professional studio. Next to the digitized, future-slicked sounds of other latter-day psych totems such as Lonerism or Merriweather Post Pavilion, it feels like a reverent, immersive ramble through the corridors of lysergic pop history.
Sure, some revivalist rules and lo-fi tenets are bent. The bass tones here are rounder than those found on the mid-'60s or early '70s vinyl classics that Woods clearly prize, and the wah-wah effects squelch with a modern clarity. But it's the good old Leslie speakers that have worked liquefied wonders on frontman Jeremy Earl's coyote yowl falsetto. The Hammond organ-led "Leaves Like Glass" is pure Basement Tapes/American Beauty pastiche, while "Full Moon," built around a trembling slide lick, is a patchwork woven from the majestic corners of All Things Must Pass. Even the monstrous, nine-minute title jam, which quotes liberally from "Eight Miles High" and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, betrays a traditionalist ache for the golden analog hues of bygone eras.
Such déjà vu portals suggest Woods are thoughtful re-interpreters as much as they are artists. But in this territory, that's a high compliment, not a backhanded one. After all, the words folk and rock might never have converged so gracefully were it not for a certain reinvention of "Mr. Tambourine Man." (www.woodsist.com/woods/)
Author rating: 8/10
Average reader rating: 7/10
- Under the Radar Announces Best of 2014 Issue with St. Vincent on the Cover (News) — St. Vincent, The Flaming Lips, The Walking Dead, The War on Drugs, Sharon Van Etten, Real Estate, Panda Bear, of Montreal, Jenny Lewis, James Franco, Ariel Pink, alt-J, East India Youth, Weird Al Yankovic
- Listen: Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist Featuring Oneohtrix Point Never, Petite Noir & Wild Beasts (News) — Under the Radar’s Weekly Playlist
- Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire vs. Peter Gabriel (Interview) — Richard Reed Parry, Peter Gabriel
- Adult Jazz (Interview) — Adult Jazz
- Listen: Broken Social Scene – “Golden Facelift” (News) — Broken Social Scene