May 02, 2012 Web Exclusive
Wolfgang Voigt and Jörg Burger, the electronic duo known as Mohn, are at their best when at their least conventional. "Schwarzer Schwan" manages to be simultaneously entrancing and unsettling, with drum beats booming at the pace of incoming thunder while voices drift in and out like unboxed specters, and "Einrauschen" finds a dark crossroads between Throbbing Gristle and Kraftwerk.
Tracks such as the plodding "Ambientot" may serve as light contrast, but after a minute or two you may find yourself itching for them to once again close the blinds.
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Supernova Blu-ray (Review) —
- Neko Case Announces Reissue of “Fox Confessor Brings the Flood,” Tour (News) — Neko Case
- Watch: Zola Jesus - “Hunger” Video (News) — Zola Jesus
- Boxed In Announces U.S. Release Plans for Debut LP (News) — Boxed In
- 2014 Artist Survey: Xiu Xiu (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2014, Xiu Xiu