May 02, 2012 Web Exclusive
Wolfgang Voigt and Jörg Burger, the electronic duo known as Mohn, are at their best when at their least conventional. "Schwarzer Schwan" manages to be simultaneously entrancing and unsettling, with drum beats booming at the pace of incoming thunder while voices drift in and out like unboxed specters, and "Einrauschen" finds a dark crossroads between Throbbing Gristle and Kraftwerk.
Tracks such as the plodding "Ambientot" may serve as light contrast, but after a minute or two you may find yourself itching for them to once again close the blinds.
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 9/10
- Justin Vernon Is Working on New Bon Iver Music, Announces Eaux Claires Festival Line-up (News) — Bon Iver, Beach House, James Blake, The National, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Jenny Lewis, Vince Staples, Jon Hopkins, My Brightest Diamond, Phosphorescent
- 2015 Artist Survey: Natalie Prass (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2015, Natalie Prass
- Watch: Black Mountain - “Mothers of the Sun” Video (News) — Black Mountain
- Watch: Quilt - “Roller” Video (News) — Quilt
- Watch: Jeff Buckley - “I Know It’s Over” (The Smiths Cover) Video (News) — Jeff Buckley, The Smiths