The Big Sleep
Feb 13, 2012 Issue #39 - Best of 2011
With their third album, Brooklyn duo The Big Sleep (not to be confused with the short-lived early-'70s band Big Sleep) step away from working as a largely instrumental band toward a head-on stance with vocals at the fore. They are clearly ready for their close-ups.
As guitarist Danny Barria and bassist Sonya Balchandani trade turns at the mic, the band also shuffles its sound, from the gentle, keyboard-driven "Wood on the Water" to the slow-burning breakout of "Ladders." While the varied approach is commendable, there's no denying an impulse to repeat the speeding pop thrill of "Valentine" or the Sabbath-y throb swelling within "Four Wishes." (www.thebigsleep.net)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Destroyer on “Poison Season,” Times Square in the 1970s, His Voice, and Almost Making a Salsa Record (Interview) — Destroyer
- Everybody’s a Good Dog (Review) — Diane Coffee
- Bloodsucking Bastards (Review) —
- Animal Collective Announce and Release “Live at 9:30” Live Album, Share Live Track (News) — Animal Collective
- Watch: JR JR (Formally Known as Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.) - “Gone” Video (News) — JR JR, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.