The Big Sleep
Feb 13, 2012 Issue #39 - Best of 2011
With their third album, Brooklyn duo The Big Sleep (not to be confused with the short-lived early-'70s band Big Sleep) step away from working as a largely instrumental band toward a head-on stance with vocals at the fore. They are clearly ready for their close-ups.
As guitarist Danny Barria and bassist Sonya Balchandani trade turns at the mic, the band also shuffles its sound, from the gentle, keyboard-driven "Wood on the Water" to the slow-burning breakout of "Ladders." While the varied approach is commendable, there's no denying an impulse to repeat the speeding pop thrill of "Valentine" or the Sabbath-y throb swelling within "Four Wishes." (www.thebigsleep.net)
Author rating: 6/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Angel Olsen Shares New Song, “Fly on Your Wall,” For “Our First 100 Days” Anti-Trump Project (News) — Angel Olsen
- Premiere: einarindra mixtape (MENT Edition) (News) — einarindra, MENT 2017, mixtapes
- “1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs” 4-Year Anti-Trump Project Launches with R.E.M. Track (News) — 1,000 Days, 1,000 Songs, Dave Eggers, R.E.M.
- 2016 Artist Survey: Katie Stelmanis of Austra (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Austra
- ACLU Benefit Comp Features New Mount Eerie and The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Songs, and More (News) — Mount Eerie, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Surfer Blood, Dean & Britta