What Is All This? Uncollected Stories
Published by Fantagraphics
Jul 10, 2012 Issue #41 - Yeasayer
Stephen Dixon has a gift for revealing mundane environments as vibrant social microcosms. With that, it seems almost apropos that Dixon's flown under the radar commercially for decades, though he's always garnered respect in literary circles. There's a refreshing clarity to Dixon's vision, and his main character has an eye for minutiae that can lead to his being saddled with a nagging hang-up that overwhelms practically all other conscious thought, while at other times we're just following the progress of some basic quest (frankly observed sex, for example).
What makes these peeks into a day-to-day existence interesting, and sometimes fascinating, is Dixon's ability to spotlight something that few others would notice and grant it a stature of central focus. When a man has to continually kneel to tie and re-tie his overweight wife's shoes while on a walk, he perceives a shifting of societal roles in which passersby recast him in a position of deference.
When these stories are usually the musings of a solitary figure, Dixon makes him quietly noble, often amusing, and never pitiable. We rarely envy that character but a common ground is always only a step away, and his little triumphs feel like ours. (www.fantagraphics.com)
Author rating: 8/10
Average reader rating: 8/10
- Watch: Tegan and Sara - “BWU” Video (News) — Tegan and Sara
- Oasis Announce Deluxe Reissue of “Be Here Now,” Share New Mix of “D’You Know What I Mean?” (News) — Oasis
- Keegan-Michael Key and Mike Birbiglia on “Don’t Think Twice” (Interview) — Keegan-Michael Key, Mike Birbiglia
- The Walkmen’s Hamilton Leithauser and Vampire Weekend’s Rostam Team Up for New Song - “A 1000 Times” (News) — Hamilton Leithauser, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, Rostam Batmanlij, The Walkmen, Vampire Weekend
- Listen: Chairlift Share Brand New Song - “Get Real” (News) — Chairlift